Discussion Board

Thread: Maps

Maps

So I'm trying to implement maps and have found quite a few hurdles.

Firstly touch scrolling a map in the google,yahoo & bing javascript api's does not work, the touch controls for google seem to work but not particularly well.

A larger problem is that google and yahoo are only available for non-commercial use, with google costing $11,000USD for a premier license. SO pretty much that means no google maps for nokia wrt applications.

I am yet to find out the cost of yahoo maps for commercial use.

Bing maps agreement has one line that could apply to a paid application
    saying commercial apps need to allow use without restriction (for example, login or password must not be required)' bing terms
    This does not really say to me that a paid applicaiton is stopping use without restriction so it is a bit foggy with bing if an agreement is required.

So after going through all that, It seems that there is not really a good method of using maps in Nokia wrt until they bring out the ovi api.

Very interested to see how this pans out.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Maps

Have you tried sending emails for the providing companies to ask for more information, any information you would get from open discussion board could be incorrect, thus, to be certain, you should always ask directly from the API provider.

11,000USD is direct from Google, awaiting reply from Yahoo

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chops1 View Post
    11,000USD is direct from Google, awaiting reply from Yahoo
    Means if you access the google map in the mobile then it will cost you 11000 USD ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi chops1,

have you already checked out Open Street Map?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Pit

From what I can see, if you want to release a paid applicaiton on Nokia wrt and include the google maps api (I think this also covers the static api ) you are required to buy a premier license.

Cheers for the link, I'll look into openstreetmap

I can't seem to find how to create a new thread so sorry I am replying to this one in the event I can get an answer from you guys. I have created a new collections folder on my X6 mobile and have synced it with Maps online however the net based maps does not show any of the folders I have created, only the places. I have tried a full reinstall of my phone but these folders continue to reappear. Does anyone know when a version of maps online will be availible that again will show all the favourites that are on my phone and not just the places only. Ta

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cravo75aus View Post
    I can't seem to find how to create a new thread so sorry I am replying to this one in the event I can get an answer from you guys. I have created a new collections folder on my X6 mobile and have synced it with Maps online however the net based maps does not show any of the folders I have created, only the places. I have tried a full reinstall of my phone but these folders continue to reappear. Does anyone know when a version of maps online will be availible that again will show all the favourites that are on my phone and not just the places only. Ta
    Hi,
    Welcome to the Forum Nokia Discussion Board.
    When you open any Discussion Forum.

You will get Green Button having Written POST New THREAD, Just click there new thread will open.
    See here : http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...me-Development

Or for maps you can download OVI maps from here : http://www.nokia.co.in/services-and-...oads#/default/

Best regards,

Super Contributor

Hello chops1,

Maybe you have already found your way around this, but would still like to *up* this message for a good reason.

Nokia has been out for a while already with a set of Location API's, so you have a variety of choises now to any other mapping API offering out there.

I am warmly recommending to check this out.

Registration and use of the APIs is FREE within the licensing terms.

Link to the offering landing page : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Maps/

Direct link to the Location API Business Models and Usage Restrictions : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Maps/Quota/

Best,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Hello maveric, I think that the maps on that page are not for WRT widgets, only Map Image API could be used. Is any of them usable in widgets?

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
    Hello chops1,

Maybe you have already found your way around this, but would still like to *up* this message for a good reason.

Nokia has been out for a while already with a set of Location API's, so you have a variety of choises now to any other mapping API offering out there.

I am warmly recommending to check this out.

Registration and use of the APIs is FREE within the licensing terms.

Link to the offering landing page : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Maps/

Direct link to the Location API Business Models and Usage Restrictions : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Maps/Quota/

Best,
    Marko