Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qt and Java ME

Regular Contributor

Red face Qt and Java ME

Hi,

Friends, do you think J2me will slow the adoption of Qt ? A lot of applications can be done with J2me and it can work on S40 and non Nokia devices as well. So Qt is required only for advanced applications which cannot be done with J2me. So despite Nokia's big Qt push, J2me remains the primary development platform for Symbian. Qt will be used only if one is targeting Symbian or maemo and the app cannot be developed in J2me. Ofcourse maemo doesn't support J2me. But N900 has negligible market share. A product developer want to target as many devices as possible and J2me will be the first choice. As a Qt developer, this concerns me. What do you think ?

Regards,
    Jaak

Super Contributor

Re: Qt and Java ME

Quote Originally Posted by 1xuname1x View Post
    Hi,

Friends, do you think J2me will slow the adoption of Qt ? A lot of applications can be done with J2me and it can work on S40 and non Nokia devices as well. So Qt is required only for advanced applications which cannot be done with J2me. So despite Nokia's big Qt push, J2me remains the primary development platform for Symbian. Qt will be used only if one is targeting Symbian or maemo and the app cannot be developed in J2me. Ofcourse maemo doesn't support J2me. But N900 has negligible market share. A product developer want to target as many devices as possible and J2me will be the first choice. As a Qt developer, this concerns me. What do you think ?

Regards,
    Jaak
    IMHO if you have a business using j2me you should keep it for now. But for a long term investment I think you should consider Qt. J2ME cannot slow he adoption of Qt...

Super Contributor

Hi,

Regards,
    Jaak
    According to me Qt is the future for the NOKIA and other devices , Because the advantages of Qt are more then J2ME,

And of course the Qt enabled application can deploy anywhere, more open platform.
    Best regards,

Super Contributor

The two are pretty much equivalent at the "5000 foot level", and ones choice between them will depend on specific features and personal preference. In the long term viability depends on achieving true portability and, more importantly, developing a set of viable features (both widgets and environment interaction features) for the phone platforms.

Regular Contributor

Red face Re: Qt and Java ME

Hi,

Regards,
    Jaak
    I don't think so. I think j2me can do nothing expect some type of games.
    For example, j2me can't read & write files, can't copy & paste, can't access the sms inbox, can't make a call.

I prefer qt for symbian and meego.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by haha888999 View Post
    I don't think so. I think j2me can do nothing expect some type of games.
    For example, j2me can't read & write files, can't copy & paste, can't access the sms inbox, can't make a call.

I prefer qt for symbian and meego.
    J2ME can read & write files, via JSR-75, FileConnection API.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. While Qt is more powerful than J2me, a lot of things can still be done with J2me. J2me can read and write files and make calls. So being available on more platforms, J2me is always the first choice. People will think about Qt only if it can't be done with J2me. That is my experience. So my concern is that, despite being the favourite Nokia platform, it is always the second choice. If the Meego phone is a big success, this may change, since it has no J2me. All the other platforms are tied to a single development platform. iPhone supports OBJC and iPhone sdk, Android supports only Java, Blackberry only Java, Nokia's own S40 supports only Java. When it comes to symbian, there are lots of apis supported and Qt is just one of them. Being open to all is a good thing. But unfortunately for Qt, other platforms are not open to it. Not even S40. Unless Meego makes a big impact, I don't see a strong Qt adoption in the mobile space. In the desktop space, windows has around 85% market share. Applications for windows will always be developed in .Net. So unless one need to support Linux and Mac Qt has no chance here also. Am I too pessimistic about Qt adoption ? What do you think ?

Regards,
    Jaak

Super Contributor

Hi,1xuname1x

If you want to compare to independent platform like Qt and Java ME then compare yourself here.

Here you will get A to Z about Qt : http://qt.nokia.com/

Here you will get A to Z about Java ME : http://java.sun.com/javame/index.jsp

Best regards,
    RaHuL

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I didn't want to compare Java ME and Qt. Qt is much more powerful than Java ME. I was worried that as long as Java ME is present Qt will still be a second choice. The reason is that I prefer developing on Qt. There are reasons I dislike Java ME. Some times we start a project in Java ME. The initial requirements will be doable in Java ME. But as the project progresses, the client may come up with additional functionalities which are not possible with Java ME putting us in trouble. Another issue is extreme fragmentation. So platform apis are more reliable. Note that I have nothing against Java. The state of Java ME is not good and I don't want to develop apps with it.

Regards,
    Jaak

Super Contributor

I don't agree that Qt is more powerful. In my estimation they're about the same in terms of power, though Java is more mature/stable and has a much larger library of functions to draw from.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I was speaking about Java ME and I don't think it is as powerful as Qt. Qt has a more extensive api and has native integration on Symbian.

Regards,
    Jaak

Super Contributor

But you can use many regular Java APIs in ME, with minimal effort.

And in my opinion both are very poor in terms of "integration" -- much of the Qt UI is unusable on Symbian.

Regular Contributor

Yes you can use many regular java apis in java ME too. I will give an example for the issues I'am annoyed with. Even the now old Nokia Symbian devices like N73 have an autofocus camera and we are able to control it from Qt or Symbian c++. Note that you can mix Qt and Symbian c++ code if needed. But you can't control this feature from Java ME. If you ask wthether Java ME has a camera api, the answer is Yes. But does it provide full control ? No. On S40 6th edition devices which don't have autofocus cameas, they have implemented the FocusControl api. There is no sign of these features coming to Java ME and on Meego and Maemo, they don't even support Java ME. And I don't go to the extent to say that Qt UI is unusable on Symbian. The only issues I faced was with full keyboard navigation. Other than that the UI works well.

Regards,
    Jaak

Super Contributor

That's purely a question of Nokia's priorities (and the priorities of those willing to do pro bono work for Symbian). It's only slightly harder to access Symbian C++ from Java than it is from Qt.

Regular Contributor

I would like to know how we can access Symbian c++ apis from Java ME. That would be very useful. My knowledge is that it is not possible.

Regards,
    Jaak