Discussion Board

[moved/feedback] Ovi Store App Deeply Flawed

The Ovi Store app still has three major flaws:

1. It’s slower than the mobile web-based site. This could, almost, be forgiven if the app delivered more functionality than the mobile web interface but it doesn’t. It actually delivers less functionality as my next two points clearly demonstrate.

2. There is no way to re-download an app without uninstalling it. My Mail For Exchange client often fails on restart, reporting that I should create a MFE profile, which it does not allow me to do. Endless restarts do cure the problem eventually as the MFE client finally discovers the profile, which was there all along. Far quicker to reinstall the MFE client, except you can’t from the Ovi Store app, you can only do that from the mobile web interface, which is frustrating as the Ovi Store App keeps trying to launch. Anyone know how to disable the thing?

3. To search for something in the Ovi Store app you click on the “Search” box,this then takes you to another page, with another search box, you then have to click down to actually select this box. Then you have to click on it again before you can actually enter the search string. That’s just bad design. The mobile web interface is much better, with one search box that you simply click once to enter a string. Trouble is the search then fires up that dashed Ovi Store App again!

All in all a frustrating experience and not at all user-friendly.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Ovi Store App Deeply Flawed

Ovi-related issues are discussed on http://www.nokia.com/discussions - for your convenience it is also available from http://www.ovi.com, just click Support in the top-right corner, and select a category.

This was intended as a design direction feedback, not a request for support.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by amwebby View Post
    This was intended as a design direction feedback, not a request for support.
    Nevertheless, the Ovi Store developers, architects or their program, product or project managers are not likely to visit the "Series 40 & S60 Platform Feedback" forum, as they're not developing the Series 40 or S60 platforms. You'll have more luck on the Ovi related discussion boards on the Nokia Support Discussion Forums than here.

OK. I've placed it there but I won't hold my breath. Who does develop the Ovi store app for S60?

Super Contributor

OK. I've placed it there but I won't hold my breath. Who does develop the Ovi store app for S60?
    Nokia does (or in reality it could also be some Nokia subcontractor that does it in part or fully, if it isn't Nokia employees).

In my opinion it is a platform issue as, if Ovi store is deeply flawed, that directly affects the take up of the platform. Apple have it so right with their app store and Nokia have it so wrong...

Super Contributor

In my opinion it is a platform issue as, if Ovi store is deeply flawed, that directly affects the take up of the platform. Apple have it so right with their app store and Nokia have it so wrong...
    From Nokia's perspective, the Ovi Store is not part of the S60 platform, but a separate, service-specific application (done by an entirely different organization). S60 is "owned" by the Symbian Foundation (not a direct group/entity within Nokia Corporation), devices are made (with required S60 adaptations, etc.) in the "Devices" organization, and Ovi Store is done in the "Software & Services" division (or whatever is the organization name of the week there). Where these organizations are connected, is at the Nokia Corp. board of director level (where details like app feature issues are not generally debated or designed).

So, from that perspective, it isn't a "platform issue". It is, of course a Nokia issue, but still not relevant to the "Series 40 and S60 Platform Feedback" forum on Forum Nokia (because, as I said, this is a place where S60 people from Nokia might come, but most likely nobody from the organization where they have anything to do with Ovi Store will pay attention to this forum).

I posted here because I perceive the issue from the perspective of the S60 platform. It may not be the same for Neego and I sincerely hope it isn't for Synbian ^3.

In the context of this site/forum the "S60 Platform" means the totality of S60 specific features and APIs which a developer (you?) can use to develop applications and solutions (such as the Ovi Store).

We would like to know if you (as a developer) see any gap(s) in the Symbian/S60 offering that would prevent you (or make it difficult for you) to implement any such applications.

Please use the above indicated resources to discuss , from end-user perspective, issues identified with the applications provided by Nokia on top of the S60 Platform.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I am a Business Developer and am trying to get an answer to these flaws in the Ovi Store App interface as I do not see any mileage in developing apps for a store that places so many barriers to downloading apps. Perhaps this is a "design feature" that has been addressed in the implementation of Ovi Store for Symbian ^3/4?

That is entirely different perspective on the issue and you should indeed raise the issue with Ovi Publishing. I will move the thread to the appropriate forum, where we can wait for an answer from Ovi, regarding their planned changes and their roadmap. You may also want to contact the team by email, via publishtoovi.support@nokia.com

There are changes made to the Ovi Store all the time, a new version was release last week IIRC, and we are indeed looking in improving the user experience. These releases are therefore not directly related to a OS release (as said above, Ovi is not part of the platform offering), although in some minor cases OS specific features may be required in order to achieve a specific improvement idea.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2010-06-26 at 16:16. Reason: Typos
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks. It is hard to navigate the maze that is Nokia sometimes.