Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote compiler

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

Remote compiler

Hi,
    together with the announcement for the Nokia SDK 1.0, there was also the announcement of the so called "Remote Compiler". The idea is to send a sourcepackage to the nokia cloud and get a compiled package back. I really like this idea, especially if there was an option to symbian sign the package in that step.

Unfortunately I did not get remote compiling to work. I know that it is still in beta but I want to provide feedback to have that feature available in a stable manner as soon as possible. I tried:

1) Install on MacOS, try of later adding using setup tool
    I did a "full" install of the SDK beta and tried to install the remote compiler plugin using the package maintainance tool. The tool downloaded something, installed a bunch of files but after restarting the tool, the checkmark was still not checked. A second try was also not successfull although my computer was busy for a while again.

2) Install on MacOS, custom install
    I uninstalled the SDK and did a fresh install, this time a custom install and selected the experimental package already in the first installation step. This time, the checkbox in the maintainance tool is checked, although the Tab to enter the forum nokia credentials in QtCreator is missing.

3) Install final release on WindowsXP SP3
    Here the tab to enter the credentials is there and authentication is working, however I see no way to select "Remote compiling" as target for a project

Has anybody so far successfully used the remote compiler?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Remote compiler

Quote Originally Posted by axeljaeger View Post
    Here the tab to enter the credentials is there and authentication is working, however I see no way to select "Remote compiling" as target for a project
    So you went to "projects" tab and tried to add remote compiler as a target in the floater? Or, don't you see remote compiler targets when starting a new project?

Yes, it should work fine at least with windows and linux. For mac, the overall quality of NQS is still beta.

The remote compiler is not yet included in this Mac Beta version of the Nokia SDK.

Regular Contributor

I have been successfull remote compiling a debian package of my application. How to configure the remote compiler to produce a symbian-sis-file?

Super Contributor

I have been successfull remote compiling a debian package of my application. How to configure the remote compiler to produce a symbian-sis-file?
    Hi Axel,

The remote compiler seems to work well on Windows Vista with the Remote Compiler enabled.
    First time so I went to Qt Creator help and selected Remote compiler.
    see web page also Building with Remote Compiler

Added the Remote Compiler to the project targets by clicking the "+" to project.

On same Projects configuration page the initial setting in the Qt Version drop down was Maemo 5,but
    I want to load my N97 with the SIS, so I selected S60 5th Edition (N97 SDK) and then type this name into the configuration box above. The display above the run button shows Remote Compiler with S60 5th Edition (N97 SDK) selected.

Now to your signing question

Successfully created googlechat.sis for release-gcce using certificate: Self Signed!
    Binary downloaded to: C:/NokiaQtSDK/Examples/4.6/webkit/googlechat-build-wcc/googlechat_qt-4_6_2_s60_5_0_n97.sis
    Download complete
    If I wanted to sign with developer licence, which I don't I would have added the to the build steps box
    which says compile at server

The complete run is given below
    Thanks,
    Jim

Code:
    Running build steps for project googlechat...
    Uploading to remote compiler
    Uploaded 5 kB, waiting for build
    WARNING: c:\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\googlechat.pro:15: Unable to find file for inclusion \examples\symbianpkgrules.pri 
    bldmake bldfiles 
    ABLD.BAT build gcce urel 
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s 
    make[1]: Entering directory `C:C:/NokiaQtSDK/Examples/4.6/webkit/googlechat' 
    Nothing to do 
    make[1]: Leaving directory `C:C:/NokiaQtSDK/Examples/4.6/webkit/googlechat' 
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GCCE.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s 
    make -s -C \wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat -f "MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat PLATFORM=GCCE MAKMAKE 
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GOOGLECHAT_0XA000CF6E GCCE 
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GCCE.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s 
    make -s -C \wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat -f "MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat PLATFORM=GCCE LIB 
    make -s -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GOOGLECHAT_0XA000CF6E\GCCE\GOOGLECHAT_0XA000CF6E.GCCE" LIBRARY 
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GCCE.make" RESOURCE CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s 
    make -s -C \wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat -f "MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UREL RESOURCE 
    make -s -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GOOGLECHAT_0XA000CF6E\GCCE\GOOGLECHAT_0XA000CF6E.GCCE" RESOURCEUREL 

Created \S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\include\googlechat.rsg 

Creating \s60\devices\nokia_n97_sdk_v1.0\epoc32\build\wcc\build\src\c_\nokiaqtsdk\examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\googlechat_0xa000cf6e\gcce\urel 
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s 
    make -s -C \wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat -f "MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UREL BLD 
    make -s -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GOOGLECHAT_0XA000CF6E\GCCE\GOOGLECHAT_0XA000CF6E.GCCE" UREL 
    main.cpp 
    googlechat.cpp 
    moc_googlechat.cpp 
    make -r -f "\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat\GCCE.make" FINAL CFG=UREL VERBOSE=-s 
    make -s -C \wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat -f "MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\MAKEFILE_0XA000CF6E\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\wcc\build\src\C_\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\webkit\googlechat PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UREL FINAL 
    make -s -f Makefile ok_sis 

Successfully created googlechat.sis for release-gcce using certificate: Self Signed! 
    Binary downloaded to: C:/NokiaQtSDK/Examples/4.6/webkit/googlechat-build-wcc/googlechat_qt-4_6_2_s60_5_0_n97.sis
    Download complete

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    If I wanted to sign with developer licence, which I don't I would have added the to the build steps box
    which says compile at server
    What about someone who wants the unsigned sis back so they can get it signed for five different phones via Open Signed?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    What about someone who wants the unsigned sis back so they can get it signed for five different phones via Open Signed?
    Hi,

In my original thread How to get unsigned sis version using Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 for Symbian online signing

I had suggested patching createpackage.pl or adding the "-u" switch to createpackage.bat.
    In the remote compiler case this would be impossible and would need a switch "button" on the Build Steps interface which would signal to the remote compile not to run "signsis".

Because the compile is remote we cannot alter anything. This is the same problem will all Symbian SDK.
    Thanks
    Jim

Regular Contributor

I still do not get it: Where to click to add a remote symbian target? I guess I had to click on "Add" in Projects => Remote compiler-Tab => Build-Subtab. The popup I get "Duplicate current configuration" and "Use Qt 4.6.3" which seems to be a maemo-qt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Contributor

Hi Axel,
    I have built a system from scratch for Windows XP SP3 and tried as hard as I can to break this same way your problem showed.
    I cannot. My only suggestion therefore is to uninstall the The Qt SDK using windows uninstall and re-install the kit making sure the remove previous setting box it ticked.

Thanks,
    Jim

Regular Contributor

So your setup looks different than my screenshot? As mentioned above, I also tried this von Win7 so it looks like I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

Regular Contributor

I finally boiled it down:
    If you have a desktop Qt installed, for example by installing the Qt SDK by Nokia in parallel to the Nokia Qt SDK, the Qt Creator from the Nokia SDK gets confused and displays the desktop Qt as the remote Qt.

I hope that testing will be extended to test whether the new Nokia Qt SDK works together with other Qt products. In the end, I want my one SDK to rule them all and not two different machines that share 90% of the software but one is meant for desktop and one is meant for mobile development. Remember that besides all the mobility hype, there is plenty of desktop computers out there and there is still a market for desktop applications and at least it seems to me that Nokia is still wanting to serve that market.

Hello.
    I have the same trouble.
    On windows:
    - Clear Win XP3 + Nokia SDK (other Qt versions no being installed) - no Remote compiler in project properties

- Ubunt linux - similar trouble with RC, but present autodetected Qt version in PATH

danimo, in my topicon the Qt Dev Net, give me a link on this thread, but I don't see solution of this trouble here

I'm having the same problem as the last user.
    When i click on Add button on the project section, i don't get the "Remote Compiler" in the list, i just get "Desktop" .

Any help would be appreciated.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by fr33mind View Post
    I'm having the same problem as the last user.
    When i click on Add button on the project section, i don't get the "Remote Compiler" in the list, i just get "Desktop" .

Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi,
    You have installed the on line version, uninstall from the Windows application control panel and download the offline version of Nokia Qt SDK then follow my article How to install and use the Nokia Qt SDK Remote Compiler

The Remote complier will then load
    Jim

I believe that I am having the problem described in QTCREATORBUG-3550 (which is closed).

When I try to use the remote compiler it stops uploading around "176k of 190k". I've noticed that the modem continues to run for a few more seconds, so I suspect that the upload is actually continuing and that I'm being stopped by an overly aggressive error correction routine.

I'm running a 56k modem with notoriously noisy phone lines. If the system rejects buggy inputs and assumes that I will reconnect using a cleaner input I fear that I will be doomed to failure.

Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

Thanks, Ralph