Discussion Board

Thread: QT Performance

Question QT Performance

I picked up a Nokia 5230 last weekend for my new provider. I also picked up the QT dev SDK to start building some games. I started off with a Mandelbrot to get myself familiar with QT UI and direct graphics rendering, which is a large part of what I like to do. While the calculations for the Mandelbrot seem a little to much for my device (what a shame), I was shocked by load time to run my app. It must have been the QT libraries (~10MB?). My phone is no power house like iPhone or some of the latest Nokia smart phones, but how can QT be a serious development tool with such a crazy load time?

I've tried Symbian C++ as well, but the emulator was flaky and the project files were god awful messy (yes, I'm a developer with standards I'm not sure what to do here. Can anyone else shed some light on this? 10MB extra download + lengthy load times is not very attractive.

Super Contributor

Re: QT Performance

What are you complaining about, the emulator startup time or the time it takes to load an application on the real device?

I'm referring to the poor performance on the device itself. The emulator runs like a jet plane on my PC. I've tried a couple games from the Ovi store and they load and run pretty decently, including one 3d software rendered game. They don't use the QT framework, so I presume these are just vanilla Symbian C++ games. I haven't been able to find any QT games to test against, but it would be nice so I can gauge the performance. Thus anyone's feedback on this matter would be appreciated.

Super Contributor

Some apps take a few seconds to load on our N97 -- certainly not as snappy as an iPhone in general -- but I haven't noticed it being especially bad. How long of a delay are you seeing?

Super Contributor

One thing I've just become aware of is that, on an N97, the "mass storage" drive is more than 2x slower than a microSD drive. So where you install your application on the phone can make a difference in load time.

Super Contributor

Ya ,
    its true processor always takes less time to access the internal memory compared to external memory.
    But if the source or setup is in the external card then may be it becomes slow.

Cheers,
    RaHuL

I've been dumping everything on my class 6 8gb micro. A vanilla QWidget takes 2 seconds to load. I was waiting up to a minute because of the mandelbrot calculations, which were apparently being re-rendered multiple times during loading due to numerous resize events being called. Executed normally, it only takes 10 seconds. Nevertheless, I'll need to find the startup completed event and perform any loading or calculations after that point so the user can at least see the UI / splash screen before the app freezes up.

So all in all, 2 seconds isn't as bad. As I progress I'll get a better understanding of the tools and hardware I'm working with. I'm just hoping I can pull off some moderately decent looking stuff without to many sacrifices.
    Last edited by thenut; 2010-06-25 at 21:30.

Super Contributor

The first object to load (aka app startup) always is slowest.

Once the qt is loaded, it actually is decently fast. I have created some games in Qt, which will be released soon.

As for the resizing: this is a bad habit of Qt. But you can use a qTimer which you trigger on the resize event - if no second event comes within 100 msec (aka when the timer fires), you then redraw.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog