Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unwanted visual changed from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3

Today I updated the version of the Qt from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3 and recompiled one of my programs.
    The output had unwanted and i suppose unexpected visual changes.

First:
    Hiding of status pane doesn't work and is a bit weird there.

(Old 4.6.2)(New 4.6.3)

Second:
    When QProgressDialog is shown, the softkeys are not changed. Also check the spacing between the listed items...

(Old 4.6.2)(New 4.6.3)

Is this a reported bug or is it something else?
    Last edited by favoritas37; 2010-06-25 at 20:12. Reason: add an other comment

Regular Contributor

Re: Unwanted visual changed from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3

Quote Originally Posted by favoritas37 View Post
    Hiding of status pane doesn't work and is a bit weird there.
    Yes, I too have the same problem with hiding status pane. Before I could use:

Code:
                    //Hide statuspane
                    CEikStatusPane* statusPane = STATIC_CAST( CAknAppUi*, CEikonEnv::Static()->EikAppUi())->StatusPane();
                    statusPane->SwitchLayoutL(R_AVKON_STATUS_PANE_LAYOUT_EMPTY);
    But that doesn't work with the NokiaQtSDK and Qt Creator as I cannot include <aknappui.h>. So how can I hide the statuspane now?

Yes i use the same command but through the Carbide C++ with S60 5th SDK + Qt 4.6.3 for symbian.

I get the following line:
    Thread [Thread id: 1008] (Suspended: Signal 'Exception 0' received. Description: A data abort exception has occurred..)

when executing the second command (SwitchLayoutL) because in first command statusPane is returned always NULL..

Regular Contributor

Just as you say it crashes the application. Any idea on how to solve it?

Maybe Qt have built-in support for this from 4.6.3?

Never use native APIs with the Nokia Qt SDK. It is not guaranteed to work. I described The Proper Solution here:

Set the "Qt::WindowSoftkeysVisibleHint" (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qwidget.html#windowFlags-prop) and then call showFullScreen() on the Widget. This will give you a full screen widget with softkeys bar, which is equivalent to turning off the status pane. If you do just want a full screen, omit setting WindowSoftkeysVisibleHint. If you need the sofkeys regardless, but don't wan to show it, set Qt::WindowSoftkeysRespondHint.

Also check http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qt.html#WindowType-enum for possible window flags.

Nokia Developer Champion

Without using Symbian C++ interfaces the Symbian platform becomes essentially unusable for Qt for other than the most simplistic applications. You can't even force landscape mode without using Symbian APIs.

Yes, that is one of the things that need work indeed, I created http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-11785.

(Note that this is going out of scope of the original issue though. Discussions about completing the rotation feature should be done in the bug report comments).

Nokia Developer Champion

My point is: Saying "Never use native APIs" is basically saying "Don't use the platform", until all needed Qt APIs are available. I don't think this is what Nokia wants.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the answer! Maybe nokia should remove the tips about how to remove statuspane (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ide_StatusPane) as this is what shows up if you google.

Also if I want to disable landscape mode is this possible using qt? (i'm using c++ for this right now)

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies , status pane is fixed.

Any idea on QProgressDialog shoftkeys?

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by favoritas37 View Post
    Today I updated the version of the Qt from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3 and recompiled one of my programs.
    Also check the spacing between the listed items...
    The change of spacing is wanted feature of 4.6.3. The list items should be now more native-looking on S60 touch devices. Previously the items were "too tight" making them very hard to interact with. Especially so with the capacitive screen devices.

Well, even it was intended change it would be still nice to make somehow (without customizing the component) possible to keep the old look-and-feel. In some use cases, e.g. read only list, there is no need to interact with the items. I manage to make the list little bit more decent by using negative values in spacing which is of course hack.

BTW, Qt::WindowSoftkeysRespondHint doesn't seem to work on 4.6.3 and based on some bug reports (QTBUG-10199?) the support was removed because of binary compatibility issues so basically it's not possible anymore to hide only status pane. And when using full screen for example QMessageBox static functions 'information', 'warning', etc seems not to be shown in full screen mode, but instead in "normal" mode, which looks quite bad.

This kind of changes makes application developer life quite annoying.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    please just file bugs to Nokia!

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mrautane View Post
    Well, even it was intended change it would be still nice to make somehow (without customizing the component) possible to keep the old look-and-feel. In some use cases, e.g. read only list, there is no need to interact with the items. I manage to make the list little bit more decent by using negative values in spacing which is of course hack.
    It is unfortunately not possible to have multiple look-n-feels available for widgets. Easiest way is to modify the existing look and feel is to set a stylesheet to the component. For example, "QTreeView::item { border: -2px; }" stylesheet for treeview makes them close to what they previously were.
    Yes, it is hack, but ultimately easy to control from your side.
    And yes, the readonly itemview items would not need to be larger due to "finger use" needs. Please report a bug about it.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

Super Contributor

Hi Fuzz,
    asking others to report a bug - as sorry as I am to state this - doesnt help.

YOU saw it.The Nokia engineers need tyo talk with YOU.

Reporting a bug is free! Why not hit it?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog