Discussion Board

Bluetooth Pair Problem

Hello

I want to paired with bluetooth device automatically. I use QBluetooth to find BT device, and connect to device. When the phone try to connect to device, it will throw a password dialog. How could I enter the password automatically ?? Thanks a lot.

Tzeng

Re: Bluetooth Pair Problem

AFAIK, that might not be possible due to security issues.

Super Contributor

Hi, jwzeng0312

I think first time any unknown device is paired only by password for mutual understanding between sender and receiver.
    Anyway check this below article and code for data transfer using Bluetooth.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Bluetooth_Chat

Best Regards,
    RaHuL

Thanks for all replays.

Are there some reference(document) proof that this problem might not be possible due to security issues ??

Super Contributor

Hi, jwzeng0312
    You will get all your query related to QBluetooth here : http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...etooth_library

Best regards,
    RaHuL

Hi RaHuL,
    Thanks

I have seem this document, but it seems that don't mention paired with device automatically. So is there no solution that pair with device automatically ??

Tzeng

Super Contributor

Hi, jwzeng0312

So is there no solution that pair with device automatically ??
    Two mobile devices can never be connected automatically, Both of them must agree to initiate and make connection.
    Due to this the password must be asked for the authenticate connection.

Best regards,
    RaHuL

Yeap there is not automatic way.

You can manually pair the devices once and never bother again.

Also is you just want to send a file from one device to another using OBEX I think you don't need pairing ( but i am not sure)
    Last edited by favoritas37; 2010-06-29 at 11:31.

Hi

I'm not sure what do you mean "manually pair the devices once". If I don't close the program, it just enter password once. But if I close the program, it could be enter password again. Is that your meaning ?? Or do you have another solution for "never bother again" ??

Thanks

Tzeng

The pairing between two devices has to be made only once. After that, each device saves the other as secure and you wont have to pair it again because you have already proven that the connection between these two devices is legitimate.

So if you open your program as you say and try to connect with another device for the first time then it might require pairing, you give the code and it is done. The other device is saved to the Bluetooth registry. If you close the program nothing changes to the Bluetooth registry. So any other tries for connection to that specific device wont initiate the pairing process.

Thanks

In my phone bt UI I can see bluetooth device on the paired devices list. So I thought that device was in Bluetooth registry. As I say previous, it always can't pair automatically even I enter the password once. Or could I write some code to implement it ??

Tzeng

No you cant write code to implement what you want.

Some info to ensure that we are talking about the same thing.

Step 1: Pairing
    The pairing of the device as I said before happens only once. It is the process where you enter the 4 digit PIN code. It is not a connection between these two devices but only a way to certificate each other as legitimate. This step doesn't have to be taken every time two already paired devices communicate.

Step 2: Connecting
    Next step is connecting to a device using a specific protocol. It is important to distinguish this step from the previous. Here you want to connect to the other device using a protocol to send files (OBEX) or raw data (SPP) ex. Upon creating this connection there always is a prompt asking the user of the target device whether to accept connection or not. This is a different prompt than the one of the pairing process.

To conclude, upon pairing the other device (as mentioned before) is stored to the Bluetooth registry so no other future action has to be taken.
    The second step, the connection prompt, can be bypassed only if you manually set the other device as authorized. This can be done only by the device's Settings menu. (i have done this at Nokia devices, don't know if other brands support this).

Completing these two steps, would normally cause instant connection at you will regardless if it is programmatically or not.

Thank you very much, favoritas37.

So if I set the device as authentication device ,it could never enter password. Correct ?? That is a useful information for me. Thank you again.

Tzeng