Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can we get device location from Bluetooth signal that my device receives...

Can we get device location from Bluetooth signal that my device receives from surrounding Bluetooth free public Hotspots? - location database of them is available at various sources.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

Re: Can we get device location from Bluetooth signal that my device receives...

Hi,

I have not heard that Bluetooth signal can be used to detect location or get location related data from other device or surrounding Bluetooth free public Hotspots.

As I know Bluetooth is a short range radio signal transmission, It is used for transfer of small media files , chat message, or any small data.
    The connection is not always reliable can be break at any point of time due to so many reason. That is why it is not used for many application.

Best Regards,
    RaHuL

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    I have not heard that Bluetooth signal can be used to detect location or get location related data from other device or surrounding Bluetooth free public Hotspots.
    ---> Almost everyone here must have seen or used Bluetooth based GPS receivers that can be used to get the GPS location data from it - see FN Wiki example - http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Bluetooth_GPS

I have not heard that Bluetooth signal can be used to detect location or get location related data from other device or surrounding Bluetooth free public Hotspots
    --> A hot spot can deliver location information directly to peoples mobile phones http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...bile_marketing
    or http://www.alterwave.com/en/index.php

Bluepulse to launch Bluetooth location based services http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3565

Lot of people are doing such things.... I wanted to know if we can get any FREE public database of location of all these public bluetooth Access point's which we can search to find our location (near-by) when we get signals from any such BT APNs.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

Smile Re: Can we get device location from Bluetooth signal that my device receives...

Hi, Ekta

Lot of people are doing such things
    By the way , Nothing impossible in the world.

Lots of people are doing just experimenting, It's not in reach to the common man.

People are using only Google maps API , and GPS for location based application.

And by the way I didn't say it is not possible, I said I have not heard.

My main point is Bluetooth signal is only for short range, If you want to get signals from any such BT APNs ,then you have to remain near to them.
    It is not possible practically , because mobile is made for transfer from one location to another location.

Best regards,
    RaHuL

Just like Skyhook (http://www.skyhookwireless.com/) does for Wi-Fi based location and OpenCellID (http://www.opencellid.org/) for complete database of CellID worlwide, do we have any such database for public bluetooth APN's, if anyone out here know - please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

I think you've misunderstood what Bluepulse is... or was... I'm not sure the company still exists. That article you found is six years old.

Bluepulse worked using specific Bluepulse access points. So, a shopping mall might install Bluepulse access points, which then work in conjuction with the Bluepulse mobile client.

I've never heard of anyone doing what you propose... nor of Bluetooth "access points". Bluetooth broadcasting is usually used for marketing, and are frequently mobile, so they are not like WiFi hotspots.

Graham.

See this recent link from google - about Bluetooth Access Point - http://airfax.com/blog/index.php/201...hone-services/

Its difficult get the SSID or MAC address of wifi APN in j2me, but we can get the unique address of Bluetooth APN using JSR 82.
    so I was just thinking if I get a free database of all public fixed bluetooth hotspots -and their lat/long... I can get the near-by location when I get in range of any such BT- APNs fetching data based on remote device ID/address.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Nokia Developer Champion

Bluetooth based location services, thou they are not a reality for now but lot of companies are using Bluetooth Radio's (APNs) to for sending out Ad's to all the devices that come in their range.

Recently I came across one such company in Australia which is working on to setup a BT Radio's on all roadside bus Stops in a city which will transmit Ad's along with the info that which bus in approaching the stop next to all the BT enables devices coming in its range.

If someone can just map all these BT Radio locations (lat/long) in a database with their Unique ID's and make them available to developers, then BT based location services may also come in - just like the other wi-fi and cell-id based non-GPS location services.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Super Contributor

Hi, amitabh

They are not going to allow any developer to map all these BT Radio locations (lat/long) in a database with their Unique ID's.
    Because they build Bluetooth Radio's (APNs) for sending out Ad's to all the devices.

Not for the location.

Best regards,
    RaHuL

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    If someone can just map all these BT Radio locations (lat/long) in a database with their Unique ID's and make them available to developers, then BT based location services may also come in - just like the other wi-fi and cell-id based non-GPS location services.
    ---> If this would have been in my city, I would have loved to create such a database and make it open for the public by just driving thu all these bus-stops with my BT & GPS enables N95.

They are not going to allow any developer to map all these BT Radio locations (lat/long) in a database with their Unique ID's.
    Because they build Bluetooth Radio's (APNs) for sending out Ad's to all the devices.
    ---> If this could be an additional source of revenue for these company - why not ?
    See the link I gave below (this mobile marketting BT company also providing LBS way back in 2008) - http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...bile_marketing
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

I doubt they will "not allow it", afaik you are simply able to pick up a BT signal (or at elast the device's name), and unless you are not required to couple the device you can simply combine that bluetooth APN with a gps coordinate... exactly like they do with wifi... As far as the BT ID's are in public domain and not cripted or secured then you can establish they are there...
    I'm not sure it's all high-tech future talk :P in my own building people have been experimenting the last two years with in-building localisation using bluetooth... We even have apn's at the entrances to see who's coming in and who's leaving the building... The accuracy, depending on the number of apn's per room, can be up and around 3 meters... everyone with a mobile with bluetooth activated is tracked...
    the idea is that it can have commercial purposes, like in supermarkets but also during special events, where you can track the "flow" and movement of people within the building.. See if that special advertised product is getting any special attention, or if that specific booth is getting more visits and so on...
    Obviously creating a city-covering bt network would be nearly impossible, wifi is hard enough (you need a lot of wifi apn's) with it's range, with normal bt devices and it's 10 meter range it's even more work/apn's and thus costs... Using privately-owned bt apn's (like with wifi) isn't really an option, not many (if any) households have that
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

If a nearer device have GPS then you can make a Bluetooth connection and access the GPS data and get the device location.

@dev: This thread is more about getting the location via public BT APN's without using GPS device.

I agree with Tiger that "creating a city-covering bt network would be nearly impossible", if you want to get a continuous Location info -- but yes as amit wrote that a Company in Australia is setting up BT APN's on all roadside bus-stops -- its looks promising to me -- our device can get the location info when we reach very near to these bus-stops or cross them -- say while walking, and even that info will be helpful for lot of people.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

maybe dev was replying on the fatc that some people where mnentioning bt (and wi-fi) in combination with gps...
    obviously the gps is not used to establish your position but to map the position of the wifi or bt apn, so that when those are mapped people without gps can use the apn's as beacons for their position... just like wifi-positioning nowadays someone actually ampped all those wifi hotspots/apn's with a gps receiver...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

someone actually mapped all those wifi hotspots/apn's with a gps receiver...
    Yes, Skyhook (http://www.skyhookwireless.com/) has done it for wi-fi hotspots all over US and Canada.
    Thanks,
    Ekta