Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

missing LibCIpcClient.lib in Series 60 3rd ed, FP2, 1.1

trying to compile a PIPS software and missing that library, cannot find it anywhere, got the DLL though!!!
    Any suggestion? where am I supposed to find that LibCIpcClient.lib?
    Last edited by patrick.regnouf; 2010-06-28 at 18:40.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: missing LibCIpcClient.lib in Series 60 3rd ed, FP2, 1.1

It does not sound familiar, there is a LibCIpcServer.exe, but no client is present.
    Why do you think you need that library? If it is in an existing .mmp file, what happens if you simply comment its reference?

the DLL is part of the Series 60 SDK 3rd Ed, FP2 v.1.1 but the lib is nowhere to be found, the MMP is from Rob Cliff's porting of the Tight VNC to Symbian OS using P.I.P.S , commenting that reference led to the program compiling with only a few warnings but resulted in a -1 (KErrNotFound) when launching the software from the emulator, also I would like to understand PIPS / Open C / Open C++ a little better as Rob references a libcrt0_gcce.lib which is not found either in the 5th or the third edition and adding the P.I.P.S SDK plugin (just finding the plugin took me a long time, these forums should really be reorganised !!!). did not help in the least.

From what I understand that library is essential as it is the core of all IPC functions that are used throughout this implementation of VNC.

So as the Captain once said: "Am open to suggestions ..." (Picard, Stardate 41235.25) ....

As you see quite a few problems I would like to be sorted!!!!
    Last edited by patrick.regnouf; 2010-06-29 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.regnouf View Post
    the DLL is part of the Series 60 SDK 3rd Ed, FP2 v.1.1
    That is fine, just do you know what it is supposed to do? Open C 1.6 may have evolved a bit since articles about PIPS were written, that is why it would be better to know the expected functionality than just a mere name
    commenting that reference led to the program compiling with only a few warnings but resulted in a -1 (KErrNotFound) when launching the software from the emulator
    If the code compiles without the library, that library is not needed. There is no middle option, in the linker phase some object code is either missing (and the compilation fails), or it would not be used anyway. If you have a runtime error, you can start debugging. Put a breakpoint to the entry point of your application (main or E32Main), and you will see if it starts at all. Note that the breakpoint has to be on a line which does something (function header, opening bracket, variable declaration without initialization and empty line will not work).
    If you get the code there, you have all the .dll-s you need. If it does not get there, the process can not be created, which usually means that a statically linked .dll is missing.
    also I would like to understand PIPS / Open C / Open C++ a little better as Rob references a libcrt0_gcce.lib which is not found either in the 5th or the third edition and adding the P.I.P.S SDK plugin
    libcrt0_gcce.lib is about compiling for the GCCE device target. A tricky thing about the SDK is that libraries for all device targets are kept in the ARMV5 folder (GCCE folder does not even exist when you install the SDK, it is created when you build something for GCCE the first time). The library is there, and it is not required for the emulator.
    (just finding the plugin took me a long time, these forums should really be reorganised !!!)
    FN has been reorganized circa 3 weeks ago, before that S60 SDK-s and their plugins were easier to access. However the current policy is to push Qt, that is why other Symbian-related stuff is a bit hidden.

If you do not mind I move this thread to the Open C board (you can find it in the "Discussion Board" root, and a link will also remain here), since it is not really a feedback.

EDIT: moved, huge success (my first moderator activity), applause, etc.

Thanks, however I know that!!! am still looking for someone who has successfully compiled Rob's code with the original MMP and managed to get it working.
    Sorry about the confusion but I know that a gcce library is not needed for the emulator!!! that is not what I meant lol.

As to the functionality instead of a mere name: see my previous post:

"From what I understand that library is essential as it is the core of all IPC functions that are used throughout this implementation of VNC."

:-)

and all of that still does not answer my questions !!!

Just so you know I worked in Symbian for four years Connectivity, Comms, Messaging ... so I know just a little bit about mobile software. lol

LOL or not LOL, you have forgotten mentioning if the process can be created or not.

Managed to compile and run and the process is created and seems to connect to the VNC serverr however nothing is displayed which I suspect comes from a lack of IPC ...

It is a bit hard to imagine that linking with an extra library would change the behavior of an application which can be built and executed already.
    Anyway, since there are more than one executables, it can happen that the background one dies. Do you have the panic messages enabled?

indeed, am debugging as we speak, and it does not look good!!! can't even compile with gcce as it complains that both x11.dll and vncipc.dll contain initialized data!!!! any hint from someone who manage to have that application compile and work would be appreciated!!!

so far the app goes all the way to authenticating and getting the desktop flag and then just stops dead and does nothing!!!

Do you have a link to the source? SF seems to contain the article only.

Any news? have you tried to compile and execute?

Not yet. Downloaded, commented the library reference, built for the emulator, it also starts. Just I have to get a machine to be controlled, perhaps it will be something in Virtual PC. And I have to leave now, so it is going to happen later.