Discussion Board

how to get user permission for recording

Hi Friends,

My application need to record audio data. Every time, Nokia will pop up permission dialog to ask user permission. In some phone, when you can J2ME application, you can setup "ask " at first time. But for Nokiam it seems you can 't do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks!

April

Super Contributor

Re: how to get user permission for recording

What options are available depends on the device. The only way you can change the available options is by signing your application.

Graham.

could you tell me how to sign the application? How much it cost to sign the application? Will it work for other phones?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by april_april View Post
    could you tell me how to sign the application? How much it cost to sign the application? Will it work for other phones?
    Hi, april_april

There are two options available for you to sigh your J2ME application.

Thawte signing for Java ME
    Verisign signing for Java ME

Will it work for other phones?
    Signing a Java application is not simply a matter of "signed" or "unsigned". Different signatures give the application access to different security "domains".

Normally, a signed application has access to the "trusted third party domain". This is usually the case for applications signed with Thawte, Verisign or Java Verified certificates (assuming the root certificate is on the phone).

The "operator domain" is available only to applications signed by the network operator (the one who issued the SIM card in the phone). An operator-signature will be accepted only by phones with that operator's SIM card, so a Vodafone signed application will not work in a device with an Orange SIM card.

The "manufacturer domain" is available only to applications signed by the manufacturer of the device. An application signed by Nokia will be rejected by a Motorola device.

Check this article for more detail :Signed_to_Either_Operator_or_Manufacturer_Domain

Best regards,
    RaHuL

Quote Originally Posted by april_april View Post
    Hi Friends,

My application need to record audio data. Every time, Nokia will pop up permission dialog to ask user permission. In some phone, when you can J2ME application, you can setup "ask " at first time. But for Nokiam it seems you can 't do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks!

April
    Even signing your app with 3rd party certificates may not get you blanket permissions for actions like clicking of the Camera or recording Voice, so after signing the application you need to check the application properties on Nokia S40 and set the permissions for these things to the highest available level i.e. "Ask only Once" or "All Always".
    Thanks,
    Ekta