Discussion Board

View activation events

Is there any way to get event of view activation/starting new app _before_ this view/app become visible?
    For example: I need my app go foreground when user exits main menu (by softkey or by on-screen button), but before Idle (homescreen) become visible. I've tried HandleWsEventL, HandleForegroundEventL, HandleViewActivation/Deactivation and it helps, but Idle screen becomes visible anyway (for a moment, though)....

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: View activation events

It is unlikely that such API would exist.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    It is unlikely that such API would exist.
    But there is.
    For example 'SPB mobile shell' can do this - when user exits main menu, he goes to it's main view, instead of Idle screen (it doesn't even appear).

What do you excatly want to do ?, basically if you start application from menu, and exit it, the menu is shown again..

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    What do you excatly want to do ?, basically if you start application from menu, and exit it, the menu is shown again..
    I mean if user goes to main menu (system menu, by pressing menu key, for example, or by task switching) and then exits from it - my app should go foreground instead of main idle screen.

then just monitor focus events, while the idle is not in focus, just stay in background, and when you determine that it has taken focus, just move your ui to foreground. AFAIK, There are no exit events there, only focus events that could be seen.

then just monitor focus events, while the idle is not in focus, just stay in background, and when you determine that it has taken focus, just move your ui to foreground. AFAIK, There are no exit events there, only focus events that could be seen.
    But, when I get focus event, idle app is already visible! What I ask - how can I get this event (or may be other, which indicate that idle app will be visible) BEFORE it becomes visible?

I know that it can be done, but I can't figure how.

Wizard already answered that, I was just giving you a method that exists, so do try and see how well it would satisfy your requirements.

or try capturing the menu key, and see whether you get better results with it.

Wizard already answered that, I was just giving you a method that exists, so do try and see how well it would satisfy your requirements.

or try capturing the menu key, and see whether you get better results with it.
    If you read my first message carefully, you see that I've already used every possible methods of focus monitoring. They works, but not the way I need (Idle screen shows for a moment anyway).

May be there are other methods of focus monitoring beside those?

PS. I didn't get your advice with menu key. What I'm supposed to do with it?

I assume, that nobody knows how tomake my app become visible instead of Idle screen, when user exits from main menu app?