Discussion Board

How to find out destination location coordinates, and place landmarsks in an map?

Hi,

I am writing an application using Nokia Qt SDK, I want to place a landmark on an map and retrieve the GPS coordinates associated with that particular place(not my current location coordinates) i.e. require destination coordinates so that I can maintain an information whether user has reached the destination.

I have been searching for the previous posts but couldn't get any idea how to do that.

Can anyone help me please!!!!

Thanks,
    Sudhir

Super Contributor

Re: How to find out destination location coordinates, and place landmarsks in an map?

Qt and the Qt SDK has no support for managing/handling mapping data.

Nokia is also not offering publicly any APIs for Nokia/Ovi Maps use by developers. You can license such technology from NAVTEQ (a wholly owned Nokia subsidiary that provides the map data also for Nokia/Ovi Maps), or from Google (look up the Google Maps APIs on Google's web site).

Re: How to find out destination location coordinates, and place landmarsks in an map?

Thank you for your prompt response petrib.

I understand now that, I shall make use of Google maps and proceed further.

But when I do so, I am stuck at the following:
    i) When I point to any place on google map, How can I get the location coordinates of that particular place?
    ii) How can I calculate a range of coordinates within any particular area/point i.e (lat,long)?

I will explain the 2nd point in more detail:
    Let me say, If there is an (x,y) coordinate which is my destination point. Now, I want to track whether the user is nearby to that coordinate area, i.e ( X + or X - , Y + or Y -). Simply saying I want to know that the user is nearby the destination location to be reached. How can i do that?

Any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sudhir