Discussion Board

Question Problems using QtDesigner - paths to tools?

I am trying to us Qt for Symbian & S60 development. I am new to all 3 technologies. I am doing my development on WinXP. I have installed the Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 per the instructions on this page http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/Tools/ and then installed the desktop qt sdk 2010.04. I used all the defaults of the installs.

This question concerns QtDesigner.

After creating and saving a widget I cannot view the code (menu "Form"->"View code...") When I do I get an error message:
    "Unable to launch C:\ndk_desktop_qt\bin\uic."

I do not have a "C:\ndk_desktop_qt" folder and never have. I don't know why it is looking there.

Additionally, if I try to start the QTDesigner help I get a similar error: "The binary 'C:\ndk_desktop_qt\bin\assistant.exe' does not exist".
    This is of course correct - it doesn't. I don't have that folder.

I don't get any code generated from the forms I create QtDesigner for use in QtCreator either which I assume is related.

That is the real problem I'd like to fix. If someone can just explain how I am supposed to use a form created in QtDesigner in a QtCreator project that would be good enough for me. I can't get that to work either.

Why is it looking for these executables in the wrong location? How can I change where it is looking for them? I haven't found any setting which specifies the location.

Re: Problems using QtDesigner - paths to tools?

First: You don't need the desktop qt sdk 2010.04 version. All needed tools for developing Qt application for Symbian should are inside the Nokia Qt SDK.

Then sorry for adding the confusing component QtDesigner. You don't need it. All tools from it are inside the QtCreator if you are creating a *.ui file.
    The designer component was more a request from some developers which had problems with the embedded QtDesigner plugins inside QtCreator.
    (But I created two bugs about you described problems: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTSDK-116, http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTSDK-118)

The easiest way to create a Qt project which is using an *.ui file is:
    * start QtCreator
    * click in the menu file on new
    * choose Qt C++ project
    * and on the right side Qt Gui Application
    * click next and setup the name properties for your project -> next
    * choose the right qt version(I suggest Symbian and Simualtor) -> next
    * then there some name settings about your mainwindow class, keep it as it is -> next -> finish
    * now you can see all Qt Designer elements embedded in Qt Creator

and if you click the run button qmake generates a makefile from the pro(in my case C:/projects/testproject/testproject.pro) and in this makefiles there are the steps how it comes from *.ui to C++:
    C:/projects/testproject-build-simulator/Makefile.Debug:
    ui_mainwindow.h: ..\testproject\mainwindow.ui
    c:\NokiaQtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\bin\uic.exe ..\testproject\mainwindow.ui -o ui_mainwindow.h

Hopefully you can see from my descriptions how it should work - so all should be easy and automatically

Maybe here are some start tips too: http://qt.nokia.com/developer/learni...aining/modules

Thank you, TimsonC2000, for both your replies. I will look at the eLearning modules, although I think I have gone through the tutorials which cover them. And thanks for entering the bugs as well.

I did realize the the desktop SDK was not required, but I thought it was needed to try my app out on the desktop. Is that correct?

I do/did understand that QtDesigner isn't needed separately because it is hosted in QtCreator. And I have successfully created forms in QtCreator and used them within the project they were created in.

However, just like I can't create a form in QtDesigner and move it to a QtCreator project, I can't move forms created in one QtCreator projects to another QtCreator project within QtCreator itself.

I wasn't sure where to start asking questions, but this apparent path problem with the QtDesigner tools seemed obviously wrong, so I thought I would start there. I assumed if I got it working in the one case I could figure it out for the other.

Bear in mind I am still not clear what is supposed be generated by QtDesigner nor what exactly is supposed to be added in QtCreator to get this to work.

I had thought that all it took to use a .ui file in a QtCreator project was to add it to the project using "Add existing files..." in QtCreator and it would automatically do the rest - modify the project file, invoke qmake, moc, & uic as needed, etc. to generate the required files. But that understanding appears to be wrong.

Are there more steps I have to go though that I have missed?

I'd like to point out that the same problems exist with the Linux versions of the tools (using Ubuntu 10.04). When performing the same tests, the following errors occur:

1. Build form with some widgets. Select "view source". Results:

Code generation failed
    Unable to launch
    /home/niweber/Installer/______BUILD______PADDED______/ndk/qt/desktop-build/bin/uic

2. Invoke help from Qt Designer. Results:

Assistant
    The binary
    '/home/niweber/Installer/______BUILD______PADDED______/ndk/qt/desktop-build/bin/assistant' does not exist.

In my installation, the uic binary can be found at:

/opt/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/madbin/uic
    /opt/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/targets/fremantle-pr12/bin/uic
    /opt/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/qt-tools-4.6.2-linux/bin/uic
    /opt/NokiaQtSDK/Simulator/Qt/gcc/bin/uic

The assistant binary can be found at:

/opt/NokiaQtSDK/Simulator/Qt/gcc/bin/assistant

While this may be a bug, for the purpose of working around it, it would be most convenient to know how and where these paths are set and how they might be changed.

Can I enter these bugs myself, or does someone with authorization have to do it?

Super Contributor

Cool Re: Problems using QtDesigner - paths to tools?

Quote Originally Posted by gadallah View Post
    I'd like to point out that the same problems exist with the Linux versions of the tools (using Ubuntu 10.04). When performing the same tests, the following errors occur:

1. Build form with some widgets. Select "view source". Results:

Code generation failed
    Unable to launch
    /home/niweber/Installer/______BUILD______PADDED______/ndk/qt/desktop-build/bin/uic

2. Invoke help from Qt Designer. Results:

Assistant
    The binary
    '/home/niweber/Installer/______BUILD______PADDED______/ndk/qt/desktop-build/bin/assistant' does not exist.

In my installation, the uic binary can be found at:

/opt/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/madbin/uic
    /opt/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/targets/fremantle-pr12/bin/uic
    /opt/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/qt-tools-4.6.2-linux/bin/uic
    /opt/NokiaQtSDK/Simulator/Qt/gcc/bin/uic

The assistant binary can be found at:

/opt/NokiaQtSDK/Simulator/Qt/gcc/bin/assistant

While this may be a bug, for the purpose of working around it, it would be most convenient to know how and where these paths are set and how they might be changed.

Can I enter these bugs myself, or does someone with authorization have to do it?
    If you think you found a bug register yourself using same name as discussion board name and full name, your email address same use used in discussion board. Click on the Create New Issue tab, and type in the bug report. A number is assigned to this report. Bookmark the URL which will take you directly to bug report.
    Basically select the failure section Qt Designer copy and paste in what you have told us above.

Qt bug reports are open any one can report them, the more reports the better the quality of the product.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Forum Nokia Wiki Administrator