Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Moderator

Profile - the other one...

... or how to say. So I mean the FN user profile now (and not the DiBo profile as in my other thread)
    For some reason ... I wanted to fill the profile, and the adventure began. I even succeeded: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Profile/?u=wizard_hu_

Here are some observations:
    - it does not like Chrome, all changes are lost, which does not necessarily match with the original intent of the user
    - it is not user friendly: for me it was not trivial that it used XHTML, so when I entered R&D I was a bit surprised about the "Short bio field has invalid XHTML." message. Although I knew HTML I simply did not think about it, so it still took me some time to find out what it meant, add &amp;, then recognize that anchor tags could be used for creating links, and also that the <br> needed to be a closed tag because of X-ness
    - and the result with this light-gray-on-white looks like some kind of "fine print".

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Profile - the other one...

hi, so did you mean that such problem only arises if someone is using links within the text?..If that is the case , then i am not using any kind of links in the text etc..i am just writing simple text within the descriptions.Can you explain it like giving an example as how should i write the text within the space provided.

The story in short: the message means what it says. Although the page does not mention it, the input of those text fields has to be XHTML, with its features and restrictions. A restriction is that some special characters have to be encoded (like & to &amp;), and if you happen to use tags, they have to be closed. Anchor tags can be used too, but that is just an example. You can try adding the content in several steps (one line/sentence at a time), it helps finding where the problem is.
    If really in doubt, you can consider posting what you plan to share in the profile (it will not be secret after all), and we can try to find out what is the problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    hi, so did you mean that such problem only arises if someone is using links within the text?..If that is the case , then i am not using any kind of links in the text etc..i am just writing simple text within the descriptions.Can you explain it like giving an example as how should i write the text within the space provided.
    I am not sure if Wizard is still facing the problem, but can you please clarify what exactly you want to know?

If you are using only plain text, then there should not be any problem at all (even if you are using hyperlinks, it works..Check Wizards profile or for that matter even mine)

Well ya, I do agree that I do not like the contrast level of normal text with background though.
    Last edited by Symbian_Neil; 2010-09-02 at 14:07. Reason: contrast(Typo)

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    I am not sure if Wizard is still facing the problem
    I have not checked it now, but my main problem was that "it is not user friendly", and based on Vineet.jain's question, probably it is still not.

Nokia Developer Champion

@Neil: well i do not think it is user friendly at all, atleast to my experience.I just tried adding the following text & the moment i clicked Save, it say Invalid XHTML and all....!

@wizard, following is the matter, i am trying to post there under the Short Bio Section :

I pursued B.Tech in Applied Electronics & instrumentation from Uttar Pradesh technical Universtiy, Lucknow in 2008. After passing out i started off my career with a New Delhi based firm Aglaya Solution which works on symbian platform. As a newbie i learned so much from there and worked there for around 1.5 years. Currently i am working with Dbydx Software, located in Noida, U.P.

Nokia Developer Champion

Well i succedeed finally.Following is the tip for my fellow developers who haven't updated their profile yet but plan to do so in future:

Never use &(ampercent) in any of your description for the various fields present in the profile page.

Well & is the only symbol i came across , don't know if there are more problem creating symbols present.

@Neil: well i do not think it is user friendly at all, atleast to my experience.I just tried adding the following text & the moment i clicked Save, it say Invalid XHTML and all....!
    Well yes, it might sound to be user-unfriendly if you are from a non-software background. But we should be able to manage with a little XHTML here and there especially if we plan to use some & etc. If you feel confused, stick to plain text
    Code:
     & = and
    in plain text

Nokia Developer Champion

Well then there must be some link present there, depicting the non usability of various symbols. I mean & is such a common symbol , nobody is going to waste time in finding out that what is wrong with the matter i wrote.

Well & , and symbols have different usability for various sentences , but now i am forced to use and

It is explicitly mentioned in the first post in this thread...
    You should simply write
    I pursued B.Tech in Applied Electronics &amp; instrumentation from Uttar Pradesh technical Universtiy, Lucknow in 2008. After passing out i started off my career with a New Delhi based firm Aglaya Solution which works on symbian platform. As a newbie i learned so much from there and worked there for around 1.5 years. Currently i am working with Dbydx Software, located in Noida, U.P.
    and it will work.

On a side note,
    I think the previous Introduction pages (static pages) were much better and gave more visibility. Moreover, the content on those introduction pages was copyedited and sort of authentic always
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

In fact I do not know how those profiles can be viewed 'officially'. If I really want to check someone's profile, currently the only way I know is visiting mine via "My Account", and modifying the user name in the link.

Morning Gergely. Good point. Clicking on the avatar leads to the dibo profile - which has thing called "This Page" which is not much useful and should be used for the 'official' profile instead, imo.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Morning Gergely. Good point. Clicking on the avatar leads to the dibo profile - which has thing called "This Page" which is not much useful and should be used for the 'official' profile instead, imo.
    The universal profiles are still a work in progress

Ron