Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Red face How to make the layout in the Qt Designer to fit the screen of the device properly???

Hi,
    Can somebody tell me how to make the layout in the Qt Designer to fit the screen of the device properly,please? I make a simple ui with a QWigdet as the base class and drag a Calendar on it, then I biuld and run it for the target of Qt Simulator, it can not show properly on the device of Symbian touch and Nontouch, usually just a part of the Calendar can be shown on the Qt Simulator screen.
    I think it has something to do with the UI size and the device screen resolution,but What is it exactlly?
    Or with the top Layout of the UI??
    I am very confused about using UI made by Qt Designer on the Devece screen.
    So,Thank you very much!!

Super Contributor

Re: How to make the layout in the Qt Designer to fit the screen of the device properl

Quote Originally Posted by xinliucun View Post
    Hi,
    Can somebody tell me how to make the layout in the Qt Designer to fit the screen of the device properly,please? I make a simple ui with a QWigdet as the base class and drag a Calendar on it, then I biuld and run it for the target of Qt Simulator, it can not show properly on the device of Symbian touch and Nontouch, usually just a part of the Calendar can be shown on the Qt Simulator screen.
    I think it has something to do with the UI size and the device screen resolution,but What is it exactlly?
    So,Thank you very much!!
    After you dropped the caledar widget into the QWidget, select the QWidget and press one of the layout buttons (Vertical, horizontal or grid) available on the toolbar at the top.

Super Contributor

Re: How to make the layout in the Qt Designer to fit the screen of the device properl

Did you do showMaximized() or showFullScreen() in your main()?

Super Contributor

Do you see a red No icon in the overview somewhere?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by xinliucun View Post
    Hi,
    So,Thank you very much!!
    Wll,the problem is still.
    But now my another question is that What are the rules for the UI Size Designed to fit the different Qt Simulator Device? For example,if i want to make a UI to be shown on the Symbian nontouch Device, What should i do to make the UI to fit well on the Qt Simulator? You know it is not the case about on the Symiban S60 3rd FP2 Simulator , it's on the Qt Simulator which has 3 Device to choose.
    So?? Thank you.
    Besides, I find no Examples of the new SDK for the Symbian touch and nontouch Devices on FN.
    So,I am very upset about how to get through it.
    Thank you!

Super Contributor

For the simple cases you use a layout manager and do showMaximized or showFullScreen. For really busy layouts you need to get down and dirty with your own layout manipulation somehow.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    For the simple cases you use a layout manager and do showMaximized or showFullScreen. For really busy layouts you need to get down and dirty with your own layout manipulation somehow.
    Hi,I used the vertical layout in the Qt Designer and the code in main() is as below:
    #include <QtGui/QApplication>
    #include "widget.h"
    int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QApplication a(argc, argv);
    Widget w;
    w.showFullScreen();
    // w.show();
    return a.exec();
    }

But the bottom part of the Calendar is cut off and can not be show in the screen.
    So?? Thank you.
    Last edited by xinliucun; 2010-07-03 at 08:18. Reason: add some thing

Super Contributor

I've never used QCalendarWidget so I don't know how it's laid out. There are some Qt widgets that are simply unsuited for use on phones -- too big, too mouse-dependent, etc.

It may be that the only way you can get the calendar to work on a phone is to put it in some sort of a scroll window. Or it may be that you can use a style sheet to adjust the size of the calendar elements to make it fit.

Super Contributor

Ohshit - I am getting old. QCalendarWIdget was the key; I have just the same problem.

Send me an emtial to tamhan at tamoggemonj dot com with some screenshots and I will report the bug for both of us.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Regular Contributor

Hi, I have sent a mail to you, Thank you.
    Last edited by xinliucun; 2010-07-05 at 06:54.

Super Contributor

Didnt get anything yet - it is tamhan (at) tamoggemon (dot) com.

However, I already submitted "my" bug - let's see if they respond. Worst case, I will code a Calendar Widget of my own...

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    My other blogs:

The truth is that some widgets have been ported straight from the desktop and have poor usability on phones. Tam, I would recommend implementing something like UIQ's date/time picker if you want to do something from scratch.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Didnt get anything yet - it is tamhan (at) tamoggemon (dot) com.

However, I already submitted "my" bug - let's see if they respond. Worst case, I will code a Calendar Widget of my own...

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The mail is sent to you again

Well,I am sorry I have forgotten use the Layout on the TopLevel Widget in Qt Designer. Now things go well basically.
    First, as I asked before about the Layout to fit the device screen,it seems that the System can fit different device screen automatically at least on Qt Simulator as you do the layout rightly.
    But there is still a problem that the calendar can not be shown completely on the Symbian nontouch Horizontal screen of the Qt Simulator,this is the only
    case which can not fit well. Obviousely, the height of the screen in this case is the smallest.
    But is this really a Bug or Maybe is there something I still ignored??

Super Contributor

xin: this is the bug I also have.

I already reported it to Nokia, let's see what they do.

Tam
    My other blogs: