Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

What are the GUI rules for landscape mode?

Our product didn't pass the testing for certain devices on OVI, because our "Select" and "Options" buttons were not placed above the soft keys in landscape mode. We also have an option list, and I wonder if this also should be placed above the left and right soft keys in landscape mode to be approved by OVI? You can see the GUI for our product here:

http://www.mobile-visuals.com/op.jpg

This is how it looks like in portrait mode. The "Select" and "Options" buttons are the blue buttons,which are above the softkeys here. The option list is the list with "instructions", "about" and "menu". Do we need to place this option list above the left and right soft keys in landscape mode also to be approved?

I have asked the testers on OVI and the support about this, but I get no answer.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: What are the GUI rules for landscape mode?

I'm not official ovi support person, but, in general you should test that the application behaves and works well on all devices that you have marked it to be sold for, and if it does not work on some layouts, you should make sure it is then not trying to use that layout (at least with symbian, you can set application to work only portrait/landscpare rather easily).

Not sure what you mean by option list, but if it is like the menu, then I assume you could place it in the screen as you wish (as long at its usable), since user is interacting with it through the arrow keys as well as the softkeys that have their own labels.

Regular Contributor

I see. Do you know if it possible to set a J2ME application to only work in portrait mode?

Nokia Developer Moderator

I have never done Java, so don't really have an answer for that, however, you could try asking in java section, I'm sure you would get teh correct answer from there.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    could you maybe show me a screenshot how the app looks in landscape? I am not official Ovi head either, but maybe I can help a bit.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Not a J2ME expert either but it seems JSR 179 Location API for J2ME™ 1.0 supports device orientation check. Please verify it.

Regular Contributor

My app got approved and published by OVI now. It was only necessary to have the buttons displayed over the soft keys. I got it to work by making png images for the buttons. This is how I solved the problem:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...-text-possible