Discussion Board

Question How to change incoming datacall ringtone ?

Hi, I apologize for bother you with my query but I have searched a lot of forums and I found no solution of my following problem:

I am using phones with built-in S60 3rd and 5th (5800XM, N82) only for crypted CSD (HSCSD) calls. My problem is that for these incoming datacalls is impossible to change the default ringtone and its volume by usual way from user menus. I belive the possibility to do such change must exists (the default ringtone for this type of incoming calls is quiet and not suitable for me) and I hope some member of this discussion board will be so kind to help me solve my mentioned problem. My first idea was to change either the content of the file where the ringtone is placed and is referenced by the running routine that is serviced incoming datacall or change the pointer in this service routine to point to another ringtone. Unfortunately till present I have found no information how to do it and if my mentioned idea is good way to solve the ringtone change

Thank you in advance for any help

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to change incoming datacall ringtone ?

It is not necessarily possible, at least the Profile Engine Extended API (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...e_Extended_API) does not seem to support it. Of course you can still try digging into the open source Symbian code on http://developers.symbian.org, and attempt backporting whatever you find.
    Since your encrypted CSD/HSCSD calls are likely going to be handled by your own application (which probably has to run in the background already), it may be a viable workaround to provide the ringtone yourself. You could still read the volume/vibration settings for the currently available profile.

wizard_hu_ thank you very much for your answer

Incoming encrypted incoming call are really handled by application running in background and it uses its own tones (busy tone and some warning tones). The problem is in my opinion that the Nokia's default incoming datacall ringtone is initialized by some S60 process that is running with higher priority than cryptographic application running in the background and its purpose is to distinguish the type of incoming call (normal voice call, datacall...). and I know nothing about the process (what .exe, .dll ... it use). The incoming datacall rigtone is the same default tone in case the cryptographics application is installed or not.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I do not know, in your first post you wrote it was silent.
    Anyway, if it is not silent, you can mute it via the Phone Client Extension API of the plug-in pack (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/SDK_API_Plug-in)

Maybe my first post was not clear at this point. The default Nokia's datacall is has very low volume that implies it must exist somewhere in S60 system folders like .amr, .acc... file but I am unable to find this file and replace its content by another one. For me is interesting that during my searching of system folders I did find no file with usual soundfile extension that implies , in my opinion, that the original Nokia ringtones and other tones must be hide in some other filetype (I suppose it could be some .dat file or .dll) and finding and replacing the sound I want will not be so easy.

My conclusion just now is that my problem is much more complex than it seems on the begining due to the following fact:

I cannot find the solution in cryptographic application because control is handed to this application after I receive the incoming data call it means after I receive the datacall by pression of green button. Till this moment all control of incoming call (assignment of ringtone and other things) is in hands of some important Symbian proces that is probably impossible to modify and is running with high priority. I apologize but could you be so kind to help me find the solution?