Discussion Board

Public beta of Nokia signing Symbian apps for free

Hi

Can you explain a little bit more detailed about %subj%?
    I've payed 50 euros to becoma a Ovi publish member and decided to participate the program
    They sent to me a pdf which I have to print, sign, and send them back. ok, it's not a big deal.
    However, they also wants 5 EMEI "to help with your content development"
    What this means? I can provide my app only to 5 customers? Or what?
    Please, explain

Thanks,
    Vlad Stelmahovsky
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Public beta of Nokia signing Symbian apps for free

you should propably provide 5 of your testing devices, I suppose (not knowing really) they would provide you with a developer sertificate, so you can do your development and testing on a real devices. anyway, please use the ovi publishinh email address for specific questions like this.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Vlad,

The 5 IMEI's is an option for the publisher. Those are the devices that the publisher would like to test on themselves. Publishers do not need to provide those if they have their own installer. If not, publishers can provide up to 5 IMEIs and Ovi Publisher Support will create the installer (with certificate and key) for those specific IMEIs. For more specific inquiries, please contact publishtoovi.support@nokia.com.

On a related not, currently the "free" signing beta seems to require a Publisher ID, which costs $50 - is this simply the case for the beta period with the intention being that eventually we'll be able to sign apps (and publish to Ovi?) without paying $50?

Super Contributor

No. IMHO never.

The initial 50 Euros are intended as a friction point.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Moderator

yep, and the actual official information could also be asked from the support email. publishtoovi.support@nokia.com.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    yep, and the actual official information could also be asked from the support email. publishtoovi.support@nokia.com.
    With due respect Yucca, but I disagree.

Why create them extra load answering questions we can tackle here?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    No. IMHO never.

The initial 50 Euros are intended as a friction point.
    I'm confused - do you mean this is your opinion on what the answer should be, or you know that this is the answer from Nokia?

The webpage does seem to stress "we are exploring a developer workflow to reduce the time for Ovi Publishers to two weeks and bring the cost involved to $0 (USD)." - and given that they list the publisher ID as one of the current costs, I'm hoping they really do mean $0, in time.

What's a "friction point"? Friction between developers and Nokia doesn't sound good

(And true, I could ask publishtoovi.support@nokia.com , but there's no point bothering them as I can't apply for the beta without paying either way - I might as well simply wait and see.)

Super Contributor

Hi,
    let me try to clarify: the 50 bucks are needed to proof your identity and to keep people who want to sell crap out of the store.

I am not sure whether they will go. But if you make it into LaunchPad,...
    My other blogs:

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mdwh View Post
    I'm confused - do you mean this is your opinion on what the answer should be, or you know that this is the answer from Nokia?

The webpage does seem to stress "we are exploring a developer workflow to reduce the time for Ovi Publishers to two weeks and bring the cost involved to $0 (USD)." - and given that they list the publisher ID as one of the current costs, I'm hoping they really do mean $0, in time.

What's a "friction point"? Friction between developers and Nokia doesn't sound good

(And true, I could ask publishtoovi.support@nokia.com , but there's no point bothering them as I can't apply for the beta without paying either way - I might as well simply wait and see.)
    The 50Euro is the registration fee to become an Ovi Publisher. However, if you become a Forum Nokia pro-member or Forum Nokia Launchpad member, your 50Euro will be refunded.
    Once you become a publisher, you can proceed to request for the free signing symbian solution provided by Nokia by providing your login name and registered email to publishtoovi.support@nokia.com. Once completed the procedure, you will be able to submit your unsigned files to Ovi Publish and they will sign it for you.

If you have any further questions on the above post, please contact publishtoovi.support@nokia.com for more information.