Discussion Board

I hope I'm doing something wrong... Dissapointment in setting up a working environmen

I recently bought a nokia e71 and generally I like to have phones that I can develop for. I came from blackberry and I was debating between this and an android phone, but I decided the e71 was right for me.

Ever since I got the phone (3 days ago), I have been failling trying to set up a working environment to develop for it. Maybe my frustration comes from having developed for blackberry and android in the past, as they have a single packaged download that allows you to get up and running within minutes.

Here is what I've tried so far:
    -Qt creator: aparently my phone is S60 3rd Edition, fp1 so I can't use it. (BTW that was not clear in any way)
    -Carbide c++: There is next to no documentation to help beginners with and a lot of the "official" documentation is dated.
    -Java ME: most promising, as I am the most familiar with Java, but the emulator won't work due to a "ZipException"

Between trying to find the right SDK, the right IDE and actually writing the app, it feels like Nokia has done very little to make it easy on new developers. Again, their competition allows developers to setup a working environment within MINUTES with a single download..it even comes pre configured.

Why has this process been so impossible? All I want to do is make a Java app for a phone, it should not be this hard.

Super Contributor

Re: I hope I'm doing something wrong... Dissapointment in setting up a working enviro

Welcome to Forum Nokia!!

If you've ben developing for BlakckBerry using Eclipse, you might want to install the Eclipse mobile tools for Java. If you don't have it, then first install the Java ME SDK. If you don't have Eclipse, install Eclipse Pulsar, which comes with the MTJ. You can install the BlackBerry and Android SDKs into this if you want.

Graham.

Super Contributor

Re: I hope I'm doing something wrong... Dissapointment in setting up a working enviro

Hi anthony.naddeo! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

Please note that you can always come here in discussion Boards for any help . In my experience, once you start developing, it will be easy.

If you are planning to go ahead with Java, Pls have a look at the URL http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/J...tting_started/ It will help you to get started easily.
    Also we have a Wiki with JavaME section http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Category:Java_ME

Hope this helps, else pls let us know.

Regards
    Gopal