Discussion Board

Howto Avoid question of acceptance

Hi there,

I am facing actually a problem with my app. Whenever I start the app I get asked if I want to allow the app to use the GPS. Once I have confirmed that the application starts and I get asked again. Then finally the app is there and once I press the button to start sending the relevant GPS - data I get asked again. Is there a way to get rid of these questions?

It is okay in the installation process to get asked, whether the user wants it or not, but after that...

I hope one of you has an idea how I can avoid these questions!

I have seen that behaviour on E71, E72, E75, N97 and N97mini

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Regards
    Niels

Super Contributor

Re: Howto Avoid question of acceptance

Sure you can do so by signing your application... On how to do that there are several good articles on the wiki !
    It will get rid of your permissions-screens, but it has a couple of downsides... First of all it costs money (Verisign and Thawte), and the suer will have to set the permission levels after installing your midlet manually... This only has to happen once, but many users have no clue on how to do that....
    Btw, you will see that behaviour on all Nokia devices, it's standard practice and it's for security reasons (otherwise you just could create an app which powers up gps without asking, use http connection and send your position without asking and possibly surprise you with a very very costly bill at the end of the month if you don't have a data plan)...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Hi tiger,

so that'll be what I should do https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page ?

If so, would you choose the Express or the Certified signature?

Super Contributor

nope thats for symbian, i'e c++ code...
    You will have to look at Verisign and/or Thawte or the java Verified Programme....
    Just have a look at the Wiki and search for signing, you will find some basic info and links...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.