Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

configuration and profile version

To create a MIDlet project, I have to choose File->new ->MIDlet project.
    In a New MIDlet Project form, I have to add configuration by clicking Add button.
    In the Add Configuration form, I have to choose SDK and device.
    When I choose a device like ClamshellCldcPhone1, In the symbols table, it shows the attributes valuse of that device ( I think )
    In I choose ClamshellCldcPhone1, In that table, it shows that
    CLDC 1.1
    and
    MIDP 2.1
    version.configuration CLDC-1.1
    version.profile MIDP -2.1

And then I click finish button.

But After creating a prject, what i see in the application descriptor is that Microedition configuration is Connected limited Device Configuration (1.0) and Microedition profile is Mobile Information device profile (2.0).
    Why there is difference between that information?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: configuration and profile version

The first information is what the SDK (ClamShellCldcPhone1) is capable of supporting. The second information is what your application descriptor configured to support. The default values comes from the Eclipse MTJ. At this time MTJ does not calculate the default values from the SDK it is working on. This is something that needs to be improved on MTJ. It will be appriciated by the MTJ project if you report this as a bug report to MTJ. You can see the info for MTJ bugzilla in this url http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/mtj/
    --
    Gorkem

Regular Contributor

Do u mean whatever device ( like ClamShellCldcPhone1) , the default value what the application descriptor configured to support is CLDC 1.0 and MIDP 2.0?

We can change that values according to the device we choose? ( In this case, CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.1) ???

If we do not change the value, our program will lose some features that are supported by the latest version like CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.1?

Regular Contributor

“CLDC 1.1 includes enhancements to CLDC 1.0, including support for floating-point data types.”

That is what I have read from a book.

When I write a program, I test whether I can use a float data type.
    I am using Java(TM) ME Platform SDK 3.0 and Default CLDCphone1. In the properties of that devices, I saw that CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.1.
    But in the application descriptor, the data of CLDC 1.0 and MIDP 2.0 is shown.
    I thought that those values are just default values of the ecliespe. So I changed that value to
    CLDC 1.1 ( in the application descriptor)
    But I still can not use floating point value in the program.

When I use series S40_5th_Edition_SDK_Feature_Pack_1_Lite, I can use floating point value.
    But in the application descriptor , The CLDC is just 1.0 and MIDP 2.0.

I am very confused now.
    What is the meaning of those value of CLDC and MIDP in the application descriptor?
    What is the meaning of value of CLDC and MIDP in the device (such as (TM) ME Platform SDK 3.0 and Default CLDCphone1and (TM) ME Platform SDK 3.0 and Default CLDCphone1)?

in the Default CLDCphone1, why I can not use floating point values, although it CLDC is 1.1?

Nokia Developer Expert

while midlet cration , entry from JAD file will get copied in mf file and bundled with jar file , which is real executable .
    for device : you can run only those application which is compactible with device .. for ex you can not run apps which is having cldc1.1 support on device , which is having cldc1.0 support . so 2 @ initial point only you can decide a perticular apps will run on perticular device or not .

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by komomo View Post
    I am very confused now.
    What is the meaning of those value of CLDC and MIDP in the application descriptor?
    1)
    When you install a midlet on the phone, it first checks the descriptor.
    The phone (or the emulator) use the descriptor to check if it is compatible. If the phone does not implement the specified CLDC and MIDP, it will refuse to install the app.

Therefore, MIDP 2.1 is of not much use:
    A MIDP 2.0 midlet runs on a MIDP 2.1 phone,
    but a MIDP 2.0 phone will fail to run a midlet that claims to be MIDP2.1, even when it does not use anything specific from MIDP 2.1

2) during build, the right runtime libs must be chosen. For example, the String class has a valueOf(float f) method in CLDC 1.1, but nor in CLDC 1.0. So even the String classes are different.
    Because of this, it is important to have a clean rebuild each time you change CLDC or MIDP versions.

Regular Contributor

I think I understand more than before.
    What I see in the descriptor is The CLDC version and MIDP version of my MIDlet those are automatically assigned by the eclipse.
    What I see when I choose the device such as Defaultphone1, those are the CLDC version and MIDP version of the target device on which my MIDlet will execute.
    Is that Right?

I before thouhgt that the properties of the simulator what I choose to use becomes The version of my programs.

But As I asked before,
    I read in the book that" CLDC 1.1 support for floating-point data types"

But why S40_5th_Edition_SDK_Feature_Pack_1_Lite can run the program that use floating-point data types while
    Default CLDCphone1 cannot although both are using CLDC 1.1?