Discussion Board

Code Signing an app and taking it to the Ovi store.

Hi all,

I have an application built on J2ME with LWUIT and designed for the Nokia N97 device. I wanted to get it code-signed and then distribute it. However, I wanted to ask a few basic questions before I proceed:

1. I want to get my code signed for a period of 6 months to an year. What code signing service (thawte, java verified or verisign) should I use?

2. Right now, I get a lot of warning messages whenever I try to access PIM data. Will these go away once I get my code signed?

3. What next? Assuming I get the code signed, how do I get it to the Nokia store (Ovi store) now?

Any help on the above topics is most welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Code Signing an app and taking it to the Ovi store.

1. I want to get my code signed for a period of 6 months to an year. What code signing service (thawte, java verified or verisign) should I use?
    ---> I would recommend Verisign for Nokia N97 and 1 year period.

2. Right now, I get a lot of warning messages whenever I try to access PIM data. Will these go away once I get my code signed?
    ---> On first launch or if you geo t a Security Exception while accessing PIM data - educate the end user to set the permissions for your app - from application Manager - settings - to "allow Always" or "Ask only once" for Access to user data.

3. What next? Assuming I get the code signed, how do I get it to the Nokia store (Ovi store) now?
    ---> Register your self as publisher on OVI and submit your app.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

Ans 1 : I usually suggest for Thawte Certificates. The reason being - Its a cheaper option, when compared to Verisign, also there is a Known issue for Verisign Certificates in some Series 40 devices
    More info on Ovi Certificates are available here http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/OVI_Certificates
    AFAIK, N97 does have both Thawte and Verisign Certificates available.

Ans 2 : yes, Signing would remove the security permission messages, but user have to manually modify it.
    Pls see API Access rights in real devices available in the URL http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...on_real_phones
    Users have to manually modify this in settings(How to change the Java API access settings is also mentioned in the above URL) ; if you want to provide better usability, you can show an alert to the user during application startup on how to change the API access settings. It would be good to show this alert to the user during app startup till the user changes the settings.There is a J2ME API call to check the permissions:

public final int checkPermission(String permission)

Detailed info please check: http://java.sun.com/javame/reference...et/MIDlet.html

On re-launch of the application, if the permissions are not set, detect this and display the instructions again. If permissions are set, then proceed with the normal application.

Ans 3: Here is the URL to Ovi Publisher page https://publish.ovi.com/info/ - Ensure you go through the Ovi Publisher guide, so that you can get the app live to the store faster with out any failures.

Regards
    Gopal

thanks for your replies ektasrv and balagopalks!

Your replies were of great help. I have another question though. If I get my application signed by any one of the vendors above and 6 months down the line, I intend to make changes or add some more new features to it, would I need to get my code signed again using one of these certificates???

Thanks,
    Sriram

Super Contributor

You can use the same Certificates as long as its valid - No need to buy a new one - Basicaly you can Sign 'N' number of apps, if you are signing with Verisign or Thawte.

Regards
    Gopal