Discussion Board

image2svgt - convert raster images to SVG Tiny

Following on from this thread, I thought I'd write a simple (and free!) utility for Windows to convert a raster image (JPEG, PNG, etc) into an SVG Tiny file, so it can be used as an Application Icon on Symbian:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.ha...mage2svgt.html

Note that this simply embeds the image rather than trying to "trace" or convert it to a vector image, but this is something that may still be useful for developers. Some prefer to work with raster images anyway, and it avoids the problem that there's poor support for SVG Tiny. AFAICT, all of the processes described here involve non-free methods, or have known problems. The only method I've seen described for using bitmaps is this article, which requires the creation of multiple bitmap files and the masks, and editing of config files.

I hope this is useful to some Please let me know if there are problems - I've tested on Windows XP and 7; it requires .NET, which may need to be installed separately on older machines. The resultant images validate as SVG Tiny according to W3's validator, and work fine on my Nokia 5800.

Super Contributor

Re: image2svgt - convert raster images to SVG Tiny

Vector editor Inkscape has possibility to trace bitmaps into vector graphics and support SVG.
    http://www.inkscape.org/

Quote Originally Posted by divanov View Post
    Vector editor Inkscape has possibility to trace bitmaps into vector graphics and support SVG.
    http://www.inkscape.org/
    Yes, this is useful too. Although not SVG Tiny AFAIK(?) which is needed for Symbian. I'm not saying my utility is the only or best way to do this, but it's an additional way that might be useful for some who want to use raster images in this way
    Last edited by mdwh; 2010-07-10 at 22:23.

Super Contributor

Nope, there is no SVG Tiny support in Inkscape, but conversion from SVG to SVG Tiny should be rather simple.

"should" being the key word - it's a shame that an open standard doesn't have more support, but reportedly SVG2SVGT has problems with Inkscape (hence the reason for SVG Pony which is apparently much better, although non-free). Either way, I hope this single-step way of doing it from a bitmap is useful to some. (Indeed Inkscape was how I was converting bitmaps beforehand, by embedding, as per my earlier thread, but I wanted to automate the process.)
    Last edited by mdwh; 2010-07-13 at 02:42.

Super Contributor

Note, that Inkscape by default is saving into Inkscape SVG, which should be changed to Plain SVG.
    Also Inkscape allows CLI usage http://inkscape.modevia.com/inkscape-man.html