×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2

    Angry DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    I'm realy disappointed with quality of nokia Qt SDK. I wanted to write small program for myslef. I'm very skilled developer. I have 10 years expierence in C++ and other programming technologies. Last 2 years I worked with mobile platforms (iPhone and Brew) and I have no so much troubles as I have with Nokia Qt Sdk. A lot of examples just cannot be compiled for device (for some of them there bugs in Nokia jira). The last official example that is not compiled that I found is
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._1_en.zip.html

    If Nokia does not improve quality of its SDK, knowaledge base and examples I don't think there will be a lot developers writing programs for Nokia Devices.
    Today Nokia Qt SDK is rubbish.

    Some illogical things in Qt Designer. If you need to set layout for not root widget you need to add any layout just on widget and then you can choose fo you widget layout you want. And you can symply delete manually added layout. How on Earth could I find that?
    Why QScrollArea for Symbian allows scrolling only in thin area of scroll bar. Could you imagine how to scroll items with finger? It's impossible.

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    I understand what problem you are facing. some points to improve your condition. (that helped me i too a BREW and other mobile platform developer)

    1. You should forget what BREW / iPhones Framework does with there APIs and learn how you Qt handles them.
    2. Just saying "Nokia Qt SDK is rubbish" does not solve your problem ... show us what problem you are getting . As i just tried to compile for Device and as expected no errors. with Qt 4.5.2 Tower

  3. #3
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    3,209

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    I have 10 years expierence in C++ and other programming technologies.
    I have 40 years of programming experience, 15 with C++.

    Some illogical things in Qt Designer.
    Gee, and in all those 40 years I've never encountered anything illogical!

    Seriously, I agree that Qt has serious defects, Symbian has serious defects, and Qt as a phone language has very serious defects. We do need to recognize this and lobby Nokia to, first, believe it (it's far to easy for designers to ignore the flaws in their creations) and then do something about it.

    But there never was a software system of more than 100 lines without flaws, and when you "repurpose" a software tool (as with Qt from desktop to phone) then the flaws multiply. If you wait for the tools and supporting OS to be perfect you'll never get started on your application..

    A skilled software developer learns to work around flaws in the system. I've worked on systems where we regularly read the assembler generated by the compiler, since it was often incorrect and we'd need to fiddle with the source to work around compiler bugs. Yet with that system we built a (then) million-line product which has lasted 30 years and grown into over 10 million lines (though obviously with improved compilers over time).

    In short, yes, you will encounter problems. It's up to you (and your boss) to decide if you want to work around the problems or give up and move to another technology. Certainly you have a right to gripe (the gripes are needed to help motivate tool developers to work better), but only if you're making an effort to somehow overcome the problems you encounter, vs just throwing up your hands and saying you don't like it.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    61

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    The example you linked to works with Qt version 4.5.2 - as stated in the compatibility section - which is now obsolete. The Nokia Qt SDK uses Qt version 4.6.3.

    You learn to use Qt Designer by reading the documentation. I assume you were born with Java and Objective-C knowledge since you are so upset that you must study Qt.

    The scroll-bar width is a system property. Symbian is not finger-friendly, this has nothing to do with Qt.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    Quote Originally Posted by razvanpetru View Post
    You learn to use Qt Designer by reading the documentation. I assume you were born with Java and Objective-C knowledge since you are so upset that you must study Qt.

    The scroll-bar width is a system property. Symbian is not finger-friendly, this has nothing to do with Qt.
    I have about 8 years expierence with desktop application so Qt Is not difficult for me. But Desktop approach is absoluttely different than mobile approach. And this was ignored By Nokia. You say "Symbian is not finger-friendly" but in my phone i can scroll contacts and other lists with finger. Why am I not able do it in my application?

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,024

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    Quote Originally Posted by SaloS View Post
    I have about 8 years expierence with desktop application so Qt Is not difficult for me. But Desktop approach is absoluttely different than mobile approach. And this was ignored By Nokia. You say "Symbian is not finger-friendly" but in my phone i can scroll contacts and other lists with finger. Why am I not able do it in my application?
    Is the kinetic scrolling missing in Qt for Symbian? It can be ported to symbian from Qt for Maemo, since it has already an implementation of it. It's enabled by default for QWebViews and QListViews.

  7. #7
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    3,209

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    It's just as hard to scroll, say, the Symbian-coded Applications menu as it is to scroll a Qt scroll list. In fact, Qt can be made easier because the scroll bar can indeed be made larger if desired.

    For the most part there's no support on Symbian for kinetic scrolling and gesture, though a few of the Symbian controls make a weak attempt at it. It's difficult to achieve with the pressure-based touch screen on Symbian devices.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Uganda
    Posts
    15

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    What a cry baby!!! I have programming experience of approximately 5 years,2 in Lisp, ..3 in C++, most on the Symbian platform, most of my programming was done on a crappy laptop under meagre condition in Uganda (E. Africa) as an Undergrad and you don't hear me crying about it, This forum has experts and well meaning individuals many who love and are passionate about what they do, its simply an Insult to reduce a technology to "Today Nokia Qt SDK is rubbish. ", people have worked really HARD to get this thing to even work.

    If you don't like it, go and use visual basic...be happy and grow up

  9. #9
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    3,209

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    Or try programming a phone in RPG.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    173

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    Quote Originally Posted by SaloS View Post
    I'm realy disappointed with quality of nokia Qt SDK. I wanted to write small program for myslef. I'm very skilled developer. I have 10 years expierence in C++ and other programming technologies. Last 2 years I worked with mobile platforms (iPhone and Brew) and I have no so much troubles as I have with Nokia Qt Sdk. A lot of examples just cannot be compiled for device (for some of them there bugs in Nokia jira). The last official example that is not compiled that I found is
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._1_en.zip.html

    If Nokia does not improve quality of its SDK, knowaledge base and examples I don't think there will be a lot developers writing programs for Nokia Devices.
    Today Nokia Qt SDK is rubbish.

    Some illogical things in Qt Designer. If you need to set layout for not root widget you need to add any layout just on widget and then you can choose fo you widget layout you want. And you can symply delete manually added layout. How on Earth could I find that?
    Why QScrollArea for Symbian allows scrolling only in thin area of scroll bar. Could you imagine how to scroll items with finger? It's impossible.
    Many thanks to you for the example link. I managed to compile example with Qt and deploy built application on my E71 device (=60.3.1).
    The only thing that was missing from the example (in my case) was the e32keys.h file. But this file can be found from the
    <sdk root directory>\...\epoc32\include\

    Screenshots from my device that is running the example that is built with the "rubbish sdk" :



    By the way. I have not done Symbian applications for 5 years.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    506

    Re: DIsgusting quility of Nokia SDK for Symbian and examples

    Quote Originally Posted by SaloS View Post
    Why am I not able do it in my application?
    because you stop reading documentation right before kinetic scrolling stuff
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

Similar Threads

  1. Running QSensor examples using Nokia Qt SDK RC for Symbian device
    By sweedyar in forum [Archived] Qt SDKs and Tools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-06-20, 12:07
  2. Information About Nokia Copyright of Examples in SDK
    By mevasudeva in forum Feedback - Nokia Developer Services & Infrastructure
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2008-01-15, 09:03
  3. Nokia NFC SDK Examples
    By NFC_Man in forum Near Field Communication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-06-19, 12:13
  4. Problem Running Graphics Examples of SDK Symbian v9.1
    By IceCubed in forum Symbian Media (Closed)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2006-05-14, 09:51
  5. Bluetooth Examples with Nokia SDK
    By vardhman in forum Bluetooth Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2004-09-27, 21:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •