Discussion Board

Thread: Where to start?

Unhappy Where to start?

Hi, I'd like to develop an application for n97 that allows you to listen to internet radio because the applications I've tried don't work. I got qt installed on my mac but I know nothing about programming. So where do I start?

Regular Contributor

Re: Where to start?

You can read the book "c++ gui programming with qt4 second edition".

That will really help you.

Nokia Developer Champion

Frankly, if you know nothing about programming you'd be well-advised to spend at least a couple of months (maybe a year) learning programming on some platform other than the N97. And you'd be better off if you DIDN'T start with "GUI" programming, but did simple command line stuff first.

C++ in particular (and Qt is a form of C++) is a bad "first language", especially if you are learning it yourself rather than taking a formal course. It's far too easy to learn some bad habits and develop some serious misconceptions with C++. (Unfortunately, the better "first languages" -- BASIC, Pascal, APL, et al -- are no longer readily available, so probably the best "first language" from the available options is plain old C.)

Super Contributor

Hi, FastSoul

Quote Originally Posted by FastSoul View Post
    Hi, I'd like to develop an application for n97 that allows you to listen to internet radio because the applications I've tried don't work. I got qt installed on my mac but I know nothing about programming. So where do I start?
    If you are a beginner then you can not develop directly application for the N97.
    If you want to develop application in Qt. Then you should know the C++ language( Class and Object concept ).
    After that you can develop you r Qt application by using Qt class available.
    There are lots of tutorial and example available in the Qt WIKI page.
    Also go to this link for online reference : http://doc.qt.nokia.com/

Best regards,
    RaHuL

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    Frankly, if you know nothing about programming you'd be well-advised to spend at least a couple of months (maybe a year) learning programming on some platform other than the N97. And you'd be better off if you DIDN'T start with "GUI" programming, but did simple command line stuff first.

C++ in particular (and Qt is a form of C++) is a bad "first language", especially if you are learning it yourself rather than taking a formal course. It's far too easy to learn some bad habits and develop some serious misconceptions with C++. (Unfortunately, the better "first languages" -- BASIC, Pascal, APL, et al -- are no longer readily available, so probably the best "first language" from the available options is plain old C.)
    Maybe Java is the best "first language".

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by haha888999 View Post
    Maybe Java is the best "first language".
    Java doesn't have concept of pointers, thus, it makes it difficult to switch to C/C++ then.

Nokia Developer Champion

Well, Java has the concept of pointers. It just hides them in the dot notation. What it doesn't have is structures-in-structures. But Java is a poor choice because it allows you to develop many of the same bad habits and misconceptions as C++.

For programming one should first be introduced to simple imperative languages a la FORTRAN or BASIC, then the "bare" pointer concept of Pascal or plain C. An understanding and appreciation of the need to manage allocation lifetimes, avoid lost objects and zombie pointers, needs to be developed early, before one gets into Qt-style "don't worry, be happy" allocation, or into Java-style GCed allocation.