Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Devivideo GetSnapshotL()

Hi all,

i'm triyng to use the devvideo library and i'm able to correctly initialize the decoder but when i try to call the GetSnapshotL() function a KErrNotSupported is always returned to me.
    Why? Is this funtion implemented in the lib?

Regards

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Devivideo GetSnapshotL()

KErrNotSupported would indeed indicte that it is not supported on the device you are trying it in. The devvideo is distributed in API-plug-in so it basically comes with no promise of copatibility etc. As there are not really much documentation on it, it can be really difficult to use. However we do have paid technical support which you could also utilize, and in it we would hav e a dedicatd internal technical support person looking into to use case and seeing how it possible could be handled.

Before paying anything, you can have a glance at the Symbian code on http://developer.symbian.org, Source/Browse code, Search OSS code, and search for GetSnapshotL in some code line. You will find some test codes, like "mdfunittest".

Regular Contributor

hi symbianyucca and thank you for your reply,

i know that the API plug-in have no compatibility promise but on my device (N96) i can correctly initialize the devvideo decoder calling the Initialize() function of the CMMFDevVideoPlay class and i also correctly receive a MdvpoInitComplete callback from the MMMFDevVideoPlayObserver and i can also call the majority of the function of the CMMFDevVideoPlay class such for example FindDecodersL(...), SetOutputFormatL(...) ...
    This doesn't mean that the library is supported by N96?

The problem and the -5 error is returned only when i call the GetSnapshot() or the GetTimedSnapshot() function of the class.
    Any suggestion?

Best regards

you should maybe chekc the wizards advise, even though the source codes are for Symbian^3, they might give you some nice insights.

Regular Contributor

Hi all,

following the wizard's advice i searched on the OSS code repository in the "mdfunittest/codecapi/video/src/" section and i' ve found the videoplayfile_cov.cpp file.
    In this cpp there a some line of code with the call to the GetSnapshotL() function. But there is something strange...this is a part of this cpp file regarding the GetSnapshotL:

TRAP(iError, iVideoHwDevice->GetSnapshotL(PictureData,UncomprossedVideoFormat) );
    if (iError!=KErrNotSupported)
    {
    iParent->InfoMessage(_L("GetSnapshotL Failed"));
    SetState(EHwDeviceError);
    }

and no other error control as if the best to do is to obtain a KErrNotSupported...
    Last edited by iit-developer; 2010-07-14 at 16:15. Reason: error

Well, I have not checked the hits in detail, however if this is the only test, where getting KErrNotSupported is the key to success, it may suggest that the method has never been implemented.