Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Can't include header files from SDK

Hi

First of all a disclaimer. I'm totally new to Symbian/Qt development, and as such my question might be placed wrong - but this seems to be the most appropriate place for what I think is wrong.

I have created a Qt Mobile Project, and it compiles just fine.

As soon as I add an include to e.g. msvapi.h it breaks. It can't locate the msvapi header file.

Adding
    #include <msvapi.h>
    Gives the following build error:
    msvapi.h: No such file or directory.

If I on the otherhand adds a full path to the msvapi.h file like this:
    #include <C:\NokiaQtSDK\Symbian\SDK\epoc32\include\msvapi.h>

It gets past the msvapi.h not found, but fails on a number of other files from the SDK.

It seems obvious that I am missing something in my setup, since Qt Creator/my project/make can't find the SDK header files.

The problem for me is to figure out what is wrong with my machine.

Can anyone help me based on this - or do you need more output? Screenshots from Qt Creator Options dialog, output from qmake or anything else, then please let me know.

Hopefully someone can help me get on with this.

best regards
    /Anders

(UPDATE)
    I have tried adding C:\NokiaQtSDK\Symbian\SDK\epoc32\include as INCLUDEPATH += C:\NokiaQtSDK\Symbian\SDK\epoc32\include in my project file.

This does make the project able find the msvapi.h file in my include statement, but gives me 3737 build errors instead. All errors found in e32* and f32* files.

After the build QtCreator crashes.

So again, I must be missing something vital for the environment to work - but can't figure out what.
    Last edited by ankhansen; 2010-07-14 at 12:20. Reason: Update with further information

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can't include header files from SDK

Yes, this thread may have a better place in the Qt boards - I will move it there in a couple minutes.

I do not know how Qt Creator works, but generally #include <something> means that something is a "system" include. In Symbian SDK-s it has a separate keyword "SYSTEMINCLUDE" (while #include "something"-s are specified with USERINCLUDE keyword), so it may happen that you have a separate variable for it in the Qt project file. Other Symbian-specific thing is that drive letters are not welcome, at least if Qt SDK also uses Perl scripts for building (':' is interpreted as a separator character in a sequence), and specifying \epoc32\include may be enough in fact (that is the standard SYSTEMINCLUDE-line in Symbian projects - the tools interpret \epoc32\ as the path of the SDK).

Super Contributor

It would be useful to see your project file.

Regular Contributor

Hi

I'm off to summer holidays now, but will follow up on this as I get back 9th of August.

My final attempts actually seemed to build when target was a Symbian Device, and not the simulator.

Have a nice summer.

/Anders

Nokia Developer Champion

As I understand it (haven't actually used the product) you can't build Symbian-specific code for the "Qt Simulator" -- it's not a Symbian simulator. If you want to use a Symbian simulator you should use epoc (and Carbide).

Nokia Developer Expert

There is no way to make device specific code work in the Simulator as it is not an Emulator. You can just use Qt and Qt Mobility code inside the Simulator. This should cover most of the functionalities needed in the current or upcoming release (more mobility modules are to come).

In order to get Message related events use Qt Mobility messaging ( http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.0/messaging.html ). Using this API you make sure that the application does not only run on Symbian but also Maemo devices.

BR
    Olli

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info.

I will do with the actual device for now. The project I am working on is a "legacy" project i have inherited. It was originally developed using Carbide, but now i wanted to go for a clean install with Nokia Qt SDK and try and move that way.

As I understand your post, I will need to create a project in Carbide to run in a simulator there.

But thanks for clarifying the difference between the Qt Creator simulator and the actual device.

/Anders

Regular Contributor

Thanks to you as well owolff.

Actually one of my tasks will be to make the project go more in the direction of Qt, and not use all the symbian specific APIs.

Thanks for helping me out here.

/Anders