Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Different Icon Sizes

Hi,
    I have an Java app I'd like to publish, but I noticed that when selecting an Icon for it it looks decent on a S40 with a low-resolution screen but obviously looks bad on s S60 with a high-resolution screen.
    So I do have several Icon-sizes to my disposal, but I was wondering should I be creating two projects/apps and publish one for the S40 platforms and one for the S60 platforms ? Or is there some other way to solve this ?
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Different Icon Sizes

Hi Tiger79,

When submitting an image, the minimum size is 256X256 pixels. In some instances the system will resize it to the correct pixel size depending on where the image will appear. Then the publisher can edit the image if necessary. The file size of images must be as small as possible.
    In addition to normal optimizations, there are other factors that can increase the size of an image and these must be considered when creating images and icons:
    • Transparency
    • Amount of colors
    • Gradients and complexity

For more information, please refer to the Publisher's Guide on pg.25 or contact publishttoovi.support@nokia.com.

Super Contributor

Sorry,
    I actually was referring to the J2ME MIDlet Icon, which is embedded within a J2ME project through the used IDE...
    So it's not specifically the Icon which is shown in the OVI Store (which is the 256x256 version) but the Icon which is shown on your device after installation !
    I posted this same question in the Java Forum but unfortunately to no avail for now...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Hi, Tiger79!

AFAIK, due to a bug in Symbian, J2ME Midlet icons will always look jagged, regardless of which size you use.
    Depending on the form of your icon, some sizes will show up slightly better than others, so you'll have to experiment.

Super Contributor

Well,
    in the end I just have to take three screen sizes into acount (128x160, 240x320, and 320x640), so I have created three identical MIDlet's but every one with a different Icon-size.
    I guess (still have to try this out) that in combination with the possibility to target specific platforms within the OVI Store submission form I can try to submit the three MIDlets, one for every platform/screen size/device :P
    Will take a loooong time to get the right devices and stuff, I just hope I can give all three MIDlets the same name ?