Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Unhappy When application is left idle for a long time, after some time it does not respond...

In my J2me application i am seeing one thing, that when application is left idle for a some time (means do nothing in application and left it as it is).
    Then after some time (might after half an hour), it does not respond to any request (Any OK or cancel button ).
    Why this happens?
    Can anyone tell me?
    I am a new bee...

I am using s60 simulator and my device is Nokia-371.

Please help.

-Rupaa...

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: When application is left idle for a long time, after some time it does not respon

maybe the application is in some kind of deadlock ?
    Are you using multiple threads ? Or are you doing any time-consuming operation (like connectivity) in your main thread (ui-thread) ?
    Also have you given a look at the memory consumption behaviour of your app ?
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Re: When application is left idle for a long time, after some time it does not respon

Yes I am using threads in application.
    And this problem occurs when I am downloading data from server ( for example : I download images from server and craetes an image list in my app.)
    In this state if I leave the application idle it does not responds...

Nokia Developer Champion

the downloading of the Image is that on a seperate thread ?
    Or are you doing that in your main Thread, which is also your UI Thread...

Image downloading thread is a seperate thread.

Hi Rupaa,

Can you give little more explanation about your application what you are doing in your app, etc.. Then it will be easier to answer , Are you running any background threads or timers in your app ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Is this on the simulator or the device? The simulator sometimes (randomly) attempts (poorly) to simulate "going to sleep", but often doesn't blank the screen. You then need to push the "Saturn" button to wake it up, then navigate back to your application.

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    Is this on the simulator or the device? The simulator sometimes (randomly) attempts (poorly) to simulate "going to sleep", but often doesn't blank the screen. You then need to push the "Saturn" button to wake it up, then navigate back to your application.
    No this happens on device and simulator both. My device is Nokia-E71