Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Is it possible to embed Qt.sis onto my Qt project?

Hey guys,

I'm (still) trying to get into Qt development and I have a project ahead that will require Qt be embedded on the final .sisx file and not use the Smart Installer as the final application will be embedded on the device by the Carrier and it may not have an Internet connection available at execution.

What are the steps I would take to embed Qt.sis on my project using Qt Creator? I've tried to find that all over but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks a lot!
    Matias

Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to embed Qt.sis onto my Qt project?

Well, first off, you'd want to embed qt_installer.sis, not qt.sis.

Regular Contributor

Good, one step closer to the truth. Thanks!

Super Contributor

I don't know the precise secret incantation, but you can list the sis file in your pro file and it will get built into your sis.

The problem is that qt_installer.sis is 11 meg, so it makes your sis pretty large.

Regular Contributor

Thats really not an issue in my case since the application will be embedded on the actual device (no need for downloads), so I could even be making users a favor by automatically making Qt available without the need to download it.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MatuX View Post
    Thats really not an issue in my case since the application will be embedded on the actual device (no need for downloads), so I could even be making users a favor by automatically making Qt available without the need to download it.
    And then Nokia will include Qt into phone's firmware and your bloatware will be wasted.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by divanov View Post
    And then Nokia will include Qt into phone's firmware and your bloatware will be wasted.
    When will that happen? Will it happen on all the devices I need to support? When will the break-even between devices on sale and new devices with the new firmware happen? Will my application still be embedded on devices when that happens? What about plans that don't include Internet connectivity or pre-paid plans that start with no credit? The client requires the application to work without an Internet connection.

divanov, I really would like to keep this discussion around the specific question I made. I'm open to suggestions of course, but try to make them in a polite way. We're all professionals trying to make a living doing what we love, nothing else.

Super Contributor

When will that happen?
    N8 already has Qt in firmware and all future released phones will have. Installing Qt application with smart installer will cause Qt to be available on the phone also.

What about plans that don't include Internet connectivity or pre-paid plans that start with no credit? The client requires the application to work without an Internet connection.
    Any way you are planning to force people to load ~20Mb sis file. There is no problem in installing Qt and your SW separately as two sis files.

Regular Contributor

This application is not intended for N8. The break-even question is still a big question mark, and it's the most important one since the app is intended to be embedded on current devices, not future ones. Of course, it doesn't have an answer, so the safest thing to do in my case is to simply embed Qt on my app. Is this really such a big deal, technically?

If I deliver the project as two separate SIS files, won't the end-user have to install Qt manually first and then execute the actual app?

divanov, I feel your discussion is throwing this thread off-topic, unless there is a real technical impediment to do this, lets just leave this debate for another day. I only want to know how to embed qt_installer.sis on my application so it will be installed automatically without the need to download it...
    If, then, I find out it isn't the right thing to do, at least I would have learned something new, right?

Thanks!

Super Contributor

You can build your application statically against Qt libraries. It's not the same as including Qt installation into your package, but apparently there is no difference for the end user.

Super Contributor

Like I said, there's a way to do it, but I don't have the incantation at hand. We'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable of the PRO/MMP syntax to come along.

Super Contributor

Hi Matias,m
    you can find a working example via Mobilizy:
    http://tamss60.tamoggemon.com/2010/0...-andreas-jakl/

However, forget this as it will NEVER be Ovi Certified...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Super Contributor

OK, I **think** this is it:

customrules.pkg_prerules = \
    "@\"qt_installer.sis\",(0xNNNNNNNN)"

Where NNNNNNNN is the UID3 for qt_installer.sis, which appears to be 2001E62D.

Should be conditioned with symbian {}. of course.