Discussion Board

Localizing application name

Hi,

I'm creating a multilingual wrt-widget and I need to support right to left languages also. lengthy link describes how to localize the application name, but when testing it in the phone (with arabic language), the text is inverted.

i.e. the original text file reads:
    Code:
    DisplayName = "abc def"
    what i see in my phone application list is:
    Code:
    def abc
    The same string is used inside the application and in there the text is not inverted. Can anyone tell me why this is happens and how I can fix it? The phone is E75 with arabic firmware.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Localizing application name

Hello,

This definitely seems like a bug. Is the localized name displayed correctly anywhere?
    E.g. in the prompt when widget is being installed or in the task list or is it just inverted in the Applications menu?
    Please let us know the SW version of the device as well (enter *#0000# into the dialer)

Br,
    Ilkka

No the name is always inverted, except within the actual application. Is it possible that the installer drops right-to-left marking from the text string? The text files are all in utf-8.

edit:
    the phone has an arabic firmware and pressing #0000# does nothing.

Nokia Developer Expert

Back from holiday...

I tested this with 5800xm using Hebrew (Israel variant), but could not reproduce the issue. The DisplayName is not inverted and it is displayed correctly in the applications menu and in the task switcher.
    Were you able to find a workaround in the meantime?

Br,
    Ilkka

Hi,

In the end it was of course my foolishness. Since I don't read arabic, I couldn't understand that everything works as intended. The actual string is a hybrid of arabic and western languages and in aptana studio it reads:
    Code:
     "somearabicletters somewesternletters"
    Since the string contains rtl marking, the application name is displayed in the application menus as
    Code:
    somewesternletters somearabicletters
    When querying an arabic speaking person, he responded that the end result is correct. So sorry for bothering you for nothing and I hope this helps someone else who is wondering the same thing.

Regular Contributor

Question Re: Localizing application name

Hi,

I have this problem too. I am developing an application but i don't know my customers are using RTL support ROM.
    when I run my application in Aptana simulator or Nokia WRT, every thing is correct and I see correct result. but, when i run the application on mobile phone (5800em) i can't see RTL texts while LTR text (english) is correct.
    - my phone doesn't support RTL language.
    - I used @font{ ... } in CSS and attached that font (in ttf format), but the result was the same.

is it possible to attach font in order to decoding?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello,

Tuomas, thank you for sharing the solution

Hesam, make sure that you use UTF-8 encoding in your text editor, when saving translation files. In Aptana this can be set by right clicking the text file and selecting Properties. From there set the text file encoding to UTF-8.

Built is Symbian fonts should include support for Hebrew and Arabic languages, so there should not be reason to include fonts separately.

Please read Supporting multiple languages section of Web Developer's library. It explains how to do the localization by using special .lproj folders.

-Ilkka