Discussion Board

Super Contributor

gateway 500 error

Posted by Leon Wee, semicharmed@pacific.net.sg
    on February 04, 2002 at 09:05

I am developing a mobile e-mail application. I'm trying to test a simple version first. Right now, the user enters the email address he wishes to send the mail to, then he selects a 'send' link in the WML card to call the servlet and passes that value to it.

When I click the link though, I get an 'Error 500: an internal gateway error prevents the gateway from fulfilling your request'. I am using nokia activ server 2.1 and version 3.0 of the WAP toolkit. toolkit preferences are set to 'Server simulator', 'WAP gateway connection' with 127.0.0.1 as the gateway address, and 'Connection-less mode' with port 9200.

The wml file and the servlet compile with no errors. Please inform me if you need to view the source code, or if there's any configuration changes I need to make anywhere.

Super Contributor

RE: gateway 500 error

Posted by Lars Ellmer, lars.ellmer@smsg.cc
    on February 15, 2002 at 12:46

This 500 error means the server can't process the servlet or the content returned from the servlet. Either the page is to long for the phone. You send of a too long querystring to the server or your returning WML code fails while being transformed to the WAP Stack.
    The best thing to do is to add a couple of debug lines in your servlet first to see where in the servlet code the error occurs. If you can see that it leaves you function without any errors. Write out the whole deck you send to the phone to the console and use this output in a file to manually check the validity of its code on the phone emulator. And on the emulator be aware that the blueprint phone can handle nearly any kind of content whereas the 7110 is not able to handle long responses. So please check it on one of the proper phone emulators and not on one of the generic phones.