Discussion Board

Unhappy [Symbian SDK 1.2 Nokia]

Hi to all! I'm new, I'm an happy owner of the N-gage QD, and I want to develop some apps for this phone, also for learn some mobile developing.
    But I've some problems:
    1. I've Vista, so I know there are some problems (like symbian sdk 1.2 installer that stop at 80%, but (maybe) end installing)
    2. I've eclipse IDE, but I'm open mind, if you guys tell me that it's better visual studio I will go through that IDE, my starting point it's this page:
    http://symbian.louhos.com/eclipse.php
    3. Some tips & tricks for develop immediately? With this I've had 3 days of non-sense try to install develop something, the facts are that I haven't just run nothing :-(.

Thanks for your help guys!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [Symbian SDK 1.2 Nokia]

1. Vista came a few years later than the S60 1st edition SDK, so you may face some issues. If you search for vista in the Wiki (part of Community 'menu' in the top-right region of this page), you will find some articles, however they are about S60 3rd edition SDK-s. For example make sure that you are installing the SDK with right-click+Run as Administrator (being an Administrator may not be enough).
    2. I always used Visual Studio 6.0 for S60 1st and 2nd edition development, if you can get such VS (new versions will not work), that will work at least. For the Eclipse-magic, the plugin download link does not work for me, but you can check if http://archive.org has an older copy of it

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis_DaRk View Post
    symbian sdk 1.2 installer that stop at 80%, !
    Note that this SDK is basically for 7650, 3650 & 3660 devices, those are really old and most often there are no commercial reasons on developing for them anymore. I would suggest concentrating on 3rd & 5th ed (as well as 2nd ed), these SDK should also work better in Vista as well.

Thanks guys, so you suggest me to download SDK visual studio that work for vista... But libraries will work well also for Symbian 2ed? Will the API be good for my NgageQD (some sort of 6600)?
    One thing, reading in full some docs one question has born : Symbian API isn't enough for develop Ngage native games?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Actually I do not know why Jukka has suggested that.
    Specification of your device is still available in the Devices 'menu' above, http://www.forum.nokia.com/Devices/D...ons/N-Gage_QD/, it clearly requires S60 1st edition SDK.

Ok thanks, but in any case I've problems on installing 3rd edition SDK, and also 1st edition.
    Problem is that are really old sdk that will not be never updated, especially for vista/seven. I will do some experiments for get those to work in vista, visual studio or eclipse, I don't matter.
    Thanks however for trying to help me guys, I really appreciate that :-) !