Discussion Board

Push registry and ring alert when a midlet is activated

Hi all,

I have a midlet which would is activated by SMS from SMSC using UDH and static Push registry.

I have activated midlet successfully by a SMS through SMSC, but mobile device did not alert for user when the midlet is activated, such as ring for alert

So, how can i do this ?
    Plz help me !

thanks and best regards.
    Last edited by phungnguyen; 2010-07-25 at 15:09.

Super Contributor

Re: Push registry and ring alert when a midlet is activated

I am sure that the device must alert the user by showing the its own inbuilt alert on the screen and as per the security reasons that is the must condition.Therefore this is very much interesting to check that when you say that the you are able to activate the midlet successfully, how are you sure about this.

Is your MIDlet signed one?
    plz check that as soon as the sms is sent on the specific port the control was there inside the method notifyIncomingMessage(MessageConnection conn) ..
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

hi Raj,

srr for my bad english,
    i have activated the midlet successfully and the device has alerted the user by showing the its own inbuilt alert on the screen, but device did not rang or shook. I want the ring or shake of device to alert the user when it receives the sms to activate midlet, the same as when it receives normal messages in inbox.

can u tell me how do i do that ?

Thanks and best Regards

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BinLaden View Post
    hi Raj,

srr for my bad english,
    i have activated the midlet successfully and the device has alerted the user by showing the its own inbuilt alert on the screen, but device did not rang or shook. I want the ring or shake of device to alert the user when it receives the sms to activate midlet, the same as when it receives normal messages in inbox.

can u tell me how do i do that ?

Thanks and best Regards
    Hey who told you that your english is poor, its quite impressive.

Well for above purposes AFAIK you can not do more about it.Since as soon as the SMS will arrived on the port specified the device will display its own alert for asking the permission to start/launch the app registered.So the only senese to ring the user about the incoming SMS on the port is only when you have the control over it.Now suppose if you provide the permission to the AMS then the MIDlet will be started and you will not get any scope of ringing the device or so.

AFA if the SMS went to the device's native inbox then if the profile is not silent then it will ring...is it happening?
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

thank Raj,

I'm sorry, I can't understand clearly what you mean. As you said, "i only senese to ring the user about the incoming SMS on the port is only when i have the control over it".
    How should i control that ?
    ex:
    When i send a Wap push sms to port 2948 then device alert to user by ringing or shaking.
    Now i send a activated sms to port 1234 of midlet on device and i want device ring or shake for alerting

Can you give me some suggests or technical documents to do that !

Thanks and best Regards

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BinLaden View Post
    thank Raj,

I'm sorry, I can't understand clearly what you mean. As you said, "i only senese to ring the user about the incoming SMS on the port is only when i have the control over it".
    How should i control that ?
    ex:
    When i send a Wap push sms to port 2948 then device alert to user by ringing or shaking.
    Now i send a activated sms to port 1234 of midlet on device and i want device ring or shake for alerting

Can you give me some suggests or technical documents to do that !

Thanks and best Regards
    See the both situations are different.One is that you have to just send the SMS and that SMS will be delivered simply to the device and there is not action to be taken against to that.
    Secondly you are taking the action as soon as the SMS went to the specified port, and the AMS is at the same time looking for the permission to take the action..therefore neither you not the device getting the scope of either ringing or shake.

Therefore I wonder if this can be done..

One foolish workaround can be like you send the two SMS one in the native inbox and other to the port,but this is not the good idea...
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

hi Raj,

thanks alot for your help
    at the beginning, I had the same thoughts as you with two sms but this is not the good idea

so that, this topic is have opened and I hope to receive some ideas of everyone

Thanks and best Regards

Hi all
    I am trying to invoke a midlet at a particular time just like an alarm....i am getting the reminder but i have 3 problems:
    1.The alert asks for permission every time but this should not happen as it is an alarm application...it should be automatically invoked.
    2.I want that alert prompt with a ring so that it acts like an alarm.
    3.I want the alert to be prompted even if i m not on the ideal screen but the alert is seen prompted only on the ideal screen.

For the first problem i have gone across many forums...should the application be signed or is there any other way ?
    Thanks