Discussion Board

Exclamation Invalid application on s40 after signing process using a new certificate

Hi All!

I`m working on an Java application and I get an "invalid application" while trying to open it, I`d like to tell you the whole story, I hope you can help me , it`s really important

we just signed a s40 Java application using a renewed "Java Object Signing (Class 3) Digital ID" certificate , so , when we tried to use it on a Nokia S40 Java Phone ( 5310 - C3 ) we got an error message "invalid application" , btw, if I use the same midlet without signing, it works perfect!, we tested a little bit more but with different plattform, and on a S60 Symbian Nokia Phone ( N97 ) the signed application works perfect, only it happens with S40..

It`s kind of estrange , because we did the same signing process, with the same midlet as the past year, so, the only difference is this time are signing using the renewed certificate.

First of all, I emailed to verisign support, and after plenty of emails they gave us a possible reason, I`m not sure if thats the reason,

"There are differences between both certificates, " The new certificate uses a new intermediate and root", even they attached a file ( see below ) and asked us to assure the s40 compatibility with this new certificate features"

I really don`t know what to do, any idea?

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    MIICPDCCAaUCEHC65B0Q2Sk0tjjKewPMur8wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQECBQAwXzELMAkG
    A1UEBhMCVVMxFzAVBgNVBAoTDlZlcmlTaWduLCBJbmMuMTcwNQYDVQQLEy5DbGFz
    cyAzIFB1YmxpYyBQcmltYXJ5IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gQXV0aG9yaXR5MB4XDTk2
    MDEyOTAwMDAwMFoXDTI4MDgwMTIzNTk1OVowXzELMAkGA1UEBhMCVVMxFzAVBgNV
    BAoTDlZlcmlTaWduLCBJbmMuMTcwNQYDVQQLEy5DbGFzcyAzIFB1YmxpYyBQcmlt
    YXJ5IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gQXV0aG9yaXR5MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GN
    ADCBiQKBgQDJXFme8huKARS0EN8EQNvjV69qRUCPhAwL0TPZ2RHP7gJYHyX3KqhE
    BarsAx94f56TuZoAqiN91qyFomNFx3InzPRMxnVx0jnvT0Lwdd8KkMaOIG+YD/is
    I19wKTakyYbnsZogy1Olhec9vn2a/iRFM9x2Fe0PonFkTGUugWhFpwIDAQABMA0G
    CSqGSIb3DQEBAgUAA4GBALtMEivPLCYATxQT3ab7/AoRhIzzKBxnki98tsX63/Do
    lbwdj2wsqFHMc9ikwFPwTtYmwHYBV4GSXiHx0bH/59AhWM1pF+NEHJwZRDmJXNyc
    AA9WjQKZ7aKQRUzkuxCkPfAyAw7xzvjoyVGM5mKf5p/AfbdynMk2OmufTqj/ZA1k
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----

Thanks a lot!

Re: Invalid application on s40 after signing process using a new certificate

If you newly signed build works good on S60 device like N97, then you may need to update the firmware of your S40 device and try gain.
    Check the device date & time on S40 also, it should be current.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

Sounds like I have came across a similar situation : Pls check whether there are any Certificate related attributes in Manifest file inside jar file - or have you signed the JAR file also ?

Regards
    Gopal

Quote Originally Posted by ektasrv View Post
    If you newly signed build works good on S60 device like N97, then you may need to update the firmware of your S40 device and try gain.
    Check the device date & time on S40 also, it should be current.
    Thanks! look both devices are updated to the latest firmware, we also checked date and time , after that it still not working.

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    Sounds like I have came across a similar situation : Pls check whether there are any Certificate related attributes in Manifest file inside jar file - or have you signed the JAR file also ?

Regards
    Gopal

thanks, we tried to use a different ways to sign the midlet, i mean, different tools and even signed the jar file as you suggested, we look inside the manifest file and has the signing key, it doesn`t matter if the manifest has or not the key, or if we use a different way to sign, we get the invalid application error...

Hi!! look this information I got just today morning,

Below are some items that you can check that would result in you receiving this error.

The following updated document describes how to create signed MIDlet suites, following the recommendations of MIDP 2.0 and the Java? Technology for the Wireless Industry specifications for Nokia. Please check that the midlet was signed for the Nokia's as shown here:

http://sw.nokia.com/id/3f8c9f9e-e940...de_v2_0_en.pdf

There is a known issue installing VeriSign MIDlets in Nokia Series 40 5th Edition, Feature Pack 1, it has been fixed in a newer firmware. To learn more about the issue have a look at article KIJ000839 in the Nokia Knowledge Base

To check if a newer firmware is available please have a look here:
    http://europe.nokia.com/A4577224

Also note there are a number of additional causes for this error. Those can include:

Incorrect year and date on phone
    A root certificate is missing from phone The phone needs to be rebooted There is a JAD/JAR mismatch The Browser cache is full or has incorrect information cached

No matter how small some of these issues may seem, please try the following solutions:

In order to install the midlet on the mobile device and bypass the error, please check the following:

- Incorrect year and date on phone: A incorrect year and date could make a valid signature appear as invalid. Please check that the year and date are set correctly on the phone.

- Certificate missing from phone: double check your certificate is installed and has been marked as trusted for application installs in Certificate Management

- Reboot: Uninstall the application completely then reboot your phone try taking the battery and SIM out too, often things get themselves in a twist, especially if you've been re-installing a lot without uninstalling first

- JAD/JAR mismatch: Double check the application size in the JAD, remember it's the number of bytes that is important NOT the size on disk

- Browser cache: If you're installing over the air make sure you clear your browser cache before installing
    Note: I've heard but not verified that line breaks in the MIDlet-Permissions can cause problems but it seems ok to me on Nokia 6680/6630/6230i (could be firmware dependent?)

Note: The MIDlet-Permissions attribute is the cause of a lot of problems (especially since the documentation is often wrong/missing or different depending on the phone), try leaving it out first and add permissions in one at a time.

Some phones will complain about permissions they don't support, some will ignore them Information was taken from the site: http://www.spindriftpages.net/pebble...641917692.html

Please contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards,