Discussion Board

Qt applications hangs on nokia E Series phones

Hello,

I have been developing a Qt application. I am using Symbian "RSocket" APIs for network access. The application hangs frequently when access point selection dialog is displayed.

Also I have noticed similar hang while switching between two widgets(i.e. views) through menu after accessing network successfully . The menu does not get discarded.

The same application works well with N series phones. But hangs on E Series phones ( E71 and E63).
    I am using Qt 4.6.3.

Anyone has faced similar issue before?

Thanks,
    Last edited by kokilakr; 2010-07-29 at 13:14.

Re: Qt applications hangs on nokia E Series phones

One known issue when using RSocket :

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/Rsocketread.aspx

Super Contributor

Another possibility is using dynamic_cast. This can cause the application to loop, and can actually lead to overheating and phone damage. The symptom tends to be dependent on the specific phone, possibly related to the addresses were pieces of code are installed.

Regular Contributor

You said you are developing Qt application, how come you have to deal with RSocket?

Did you explore using RConnection in your project. You can create RConnection , if user selects access point and you are able to conect/talk to server, then use same access point in your subsequent transactions. This will avoid multiple access point dialog problem.

Wiki Pages on RConnection

Hello,

I am using RConnection and reusing the access point by storing it for future use. And these work fine on other N series phones.

Now I have noticed that the hang is not just observed during access point selection. It is observed randomly when switching between two widgets (views) from menu. Instead when I use "QTimer::singleShot()" the hang is not observed. So i just wanted to know if there is some issue with QT supporting E series devices.

I came across following link,
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ov.../qt-content-qa

Which says,
    Q: Why does the Ovi Store allow Qt content only for the N97 mini, X6, and N900? I am able to install and test Qt content on other devices, such as the E71.
    A: For now, we have limited the support to these devices to ensure the quality of the Ovi Store content and user experience. We are currently working on resolving the remaining issues for S60 3rd Ed and S60 5th Ed devices. We will announce support for these devices once the issues have been fixed.
    So is this is a known issue?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

It was good that you bring this article here. It is an important piece of info, I wonder how to get notified (by email) for such alerts. I have asked this query in http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...-OVI-alerts%29