Discussion Board

language support

Hello all,

I am having a text editor where user enters some text in lanuage like arabic or hebrew or russian, I want to know how i cam retrieve it fom testeditor ? Also want to convert the text to 8 bit descriptor. has anybody worked with these languages on symbian platform ? I am using unicode to utf8 converter function already.

I send the entered text to google translate but it is unable to identify the language. So i guess I am making some mistake in retrieving this text from text editor.

Also I am appending this text(* bit decriptor) to a URL so does these languages need some special handling in URLs ?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
    Vishal

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: language support

There are no secret magics, CEikEdwin::GetText/InHBufL are the simplest methods for getting the text, and CnvUtfConverter::ConvertFromUnicodeToUtf8L is the simplest way to convert it to UTF-8. And I bet you have known that already.
    Appending UTF-8 encoded string to an URL will unlikely work, the special parts have better chances if you encode them in the %xx way. And as a first try you could attempt to find out what Google actually expects, using telnet and/or a browser on your PC.

I tried same thing in a .NET program and it works perfectly , as u said earlier appending UTF - 8 will not work directly to a URL, but for plain text it works, this problem arises only when i use languages like Arabic or hebrew , do i need to encode the URL ? and this is necessary specifically to hebrew / arabic languages ?

Can it be a case that google expects me to send UTF-16/UCS-2 text ? because in .NET ( a test program i wrote) that was the difference, if yes then it means its impossible to get languages like hebrew translated by google. But one more thing to note that when i sent english or something like spanish it translates that to hebrew and i get the data correct and i een can display that hebrew text in text edit control.