Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting started with Qt Mobility development

Hi,

I am quite new to Qt. I have installed the Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 (for Windows) and I am able to build and run some tutorials and "hello worlds" on my N97 Mini.

Now I would like to learn how to use Qt Mobility API, but I am not able to configure the SDK correctly. I downloaded the QCamera example and opened the project on QtCreator, but it is not able to find QtMobility related headers and therefore won't compile. After some learning I realized that I probably need to download the Qt Mobility project separately and build it. So I downloaded the Qt Mobility 1.0.0 and when I try (following the installation guide) to build it for Windows, the configure command fails due missing qmake in PATH variable. I studied the folder of the Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 and there seems to be 2 qmakes under Symbian and Maemo folders. Which one qmake should be added to the PATH, or should I also download the plain Qt SDK (from qt.nokia.com) and use qmake from that)?

What is the correct procedure to install the Nokia Qt SDK and Qt Mobility Packages to start development of QtMobility enabled Symbian apps?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Getting started with Qt Mobility development

Hi~

As my knowledge , camera and location API is not ready for the Qt mobility 1.0.0(1) in Symbian
    Try to build sensor_explorer example if you complete the setting...(remember to delete "include(../examples.pri)" in pro file)
    Also, give one webside to you for reference...
    http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTSDK-98
    Last edited by markma; 2010-08-03 at 08:40.

Quote Originally Posted by markma View Post
    As my knowledge , camera and location API is not ready for the Qt mobility 1.0.0(1) in Symbian
    Try to build sensor_explorer example if you complete the setting...(remember to delete "include(../examples.pri)" in pro file)
    Thanks for your answer. I will try the sensor_explorer example, to see if I can get it working. However, it seems very strange that Nokia publish examples for using camera and location APIs if those are not yet supported by the SDK.

By the way, I used the Update Nokia Qt SDK tool and it showed that my Nokia Qt SDK already contains the Qt Mobility package and I was able to update the API to newer version. So it seems that there should be no need to manually install the Qt Mobilit y API from http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/QtMobility. Could someone confirm this?

Hi priority,

Please follow this to setup and config for QT http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Qt_for_Symbian

Quote Originally Posted by quangndba View Post
    Hi priority,

Please follow this to setup and config for QT http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Qt_for_Symbian
    Hi quangndba,

Now I am bit confused. The linked tutorial describes using Qt with Carbide C++ environment. As far as I have understood I do not need the Carbide C++ (which is for native Symbian development) when developing with Qt. I already have istalled the Nokia Qt SDK according the installation guide and it is working correctly for standard Qt apps. I am able to develop Qt applications and deploy those to my N97 Mini.

The problem is how to configure Nokia Qt SDK to support the Qt Mobility APIs. What extra packages needs to be installed or configured to start developing Qt Mobility enabled apps with QtCreator?

Quote Originally Posted by priority View Post
    Hi quangndba,

Now I am bit confused. The linked tutorial describes using Qt with Carbide C++ environment. As far as I have understood I do not need the Carbide C++ (which is for native Symbian development) when developing with Qt. I already have istalled the Nokia Qt SDK according the installation guide and it is working correctly for standard Qt apps. I am able to develop Qt applications and deploy those to my N97 Mini.

The problem is how to configure Nokia Qt SDK to support the Qt Mobility APIs. What extra packages needs to be installed or configured to start developing Qt Mobility enabled apps with QtCreator?
    This will tel you how to Setup Qt Mobility API http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...t_Mobility_API

Hi priority,

With the Qt SDK you can develop the QT Mobility apps. There is nothing to be done manually to develop the same, everything is present in the QT SDK.

If you want to update QT Mobility then just download the QT Mobility api from the following location :

http://qt.nokia.com/products/appdev/...-apis/mobility

From here, download the source and binary and just copy the binaries to the epoc folder as suggested. This should update your APIs. You don't have to build anything.

Quote Originally Posted by quangndba View Post
    This will tel you how to Setup Qt Mobility API http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...t_Mobility_API
    Thanks quangndba for the link, I will try to make the install according this tutorial.

As a newbie to Qt I am really overwhelmed how complicated the configuring of the Qt development environment can be. Why in the heck I need first S60 SDK for Symbian to start Qt (and Qt Mobility) development? I though the idea of Qt was to be able to get rid of the native/legacy Symbian C++ and SDKs.

Also why the Qt Mobility package, which is crucial for most mobile application development, is not automatically included in the Nokia Qt SDK and why I need to configure it separately? Yet again, why there is two different releases of Qt SDK ( i.e. Nokia Qt SDK at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/ and Qt SDK by Nokia at http://qt.nokia.com/ ) why one SDK can not support both mobile and desktop platforms? Nokia should really aim to make a easy single-installer package for the Qt SDK to get developers interests.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoidin View Post
    Hi priority,

With the Qt SDK you can develop the QT Mobility apps. There is nothing to be done manually to develop the same, everything is present in the QT SDK.

If you want to update QT Mobility then just download the QT Mobility api from the following location :

http://qt.nokia.com/products/appdev/...-apis/mobility

From here, download the source and binary and just copy the binaries to the epoc folder as suggested. This should update your APIs. You don't have to build anything.
    Hi thevoidin,

Ok, I will try that first. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by priority View Post
    Also why the Qt Mobility package, which is crucial for most mobile application development, is not automatically included in the Nokia Qt SDK and why I need to configure it separately? Yet again, why there is two different releases of Qt SDK ( i.e. Nokia Qt SDK at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/ and Qt SDK by Nokia at http://qt.nokia.com/ ) why one SDK can not support both mobile and desktop platforms? Nokia should really aim to make a easy single-installer package for the Qt SDK to get developers interests.
    As i said, it is not necessary to configure QT Mobility separately. Just in case you need to update then you can do as i have said. There are no two different releases of QtSDK. There is only one.

Nokia has done what you are asking for. A Easy Single-Installer package.

This installation process is just ridiculous. I've used so many hours and installed so many different packages to get this Mobility API working but still nothing. How Nokia is assuming to make the Qt development easy enough for regular people?

I've tried all these installation packages below but I'm only getting this:

C:\QtMobility\qt-mobility-symbian-opensource-1.0.2>configure
    C:\QtMobility\qt-mobility-symbian-opensource-1.0.2
    Checking available Qt
    \PC was unexpected at this time.

I really hope this is like a basic stuff for people who are used to install Linux stuff but what comes to Windows users.. disaster.

Hi,
    I have also the same problem, I compiled Qt Mobility package but still my compilation can't find Qt mobility libs ... could someone just simply explain how to make it work from the scratch ?

And if Nokia QT SDK includes mobility libs so what's wrong? why i can't just use this libs !?

i tried all of this tutorials mentioned in this thread but i didn't solve my problem ... :/
    i have in my system:

Nokia QT SDK
    symbian s60v5 SDK
    QT for symbian 4.7
    QT Mobility

maybe it's something with i don't know, environment vars or just with .pro configuration ...
    does someone have any suggestion?

thanks in advance

Super Contributor

Part of the problem is that the new Qt SDK for Symbian simply wasn't ready for prime time, and it was combined with the Mobility setup that similarly wasn't stable. Nokia has a major issue with tool stability.

IMO they should have held back on the Qt SDK for six months, until Mobilty stabilized. The Carbide platform, with all of its faults, is at least a known quantity and reasonably stable.

OK, i started from beginning ...

I have only installed NOKIA QT SDK

and now i can compile simple program using <QSystemInfo> lib but only of QT Simulator, when i turn profile for symbian QT Creator just stop seeing this library ... why ?

my project file looks like:

Code:
    QT       += core gui
    #QT += network
    TARGET = QT2
    TEMPLATE = app
    SOURCES += main.cpp\
            mainwindow.cpp
    HEADERS  += mainwindow.h
    FORMS    += mainwindow.ui
    CONFIG += mobility
    MOBILITY += systeminfo
    symbian {
        TARGET.UID3 = 0xe9740093
        TARGET.CAPABILITIES = LocalServices ReadUserData WriteUserData NetworkServices UserEnvironment Location TrustedUI ReadDeviceData
        TARGET.EPOCSTACKSIZE = 0x14000
        TARGET.EPOCHEAPSIZE = 0x020000 0x800000
    }

My problem was solved after removing all Qt related stuff and re-installing the Nokia Qt SDK v1.0 release. It seems that something was corrupted in my original setup, probably because I had tried different versions of the Qt SDK (e.g., Nokia Qt SDK Beta release, Nokia Qt SDK V1.0 release, standard Qt SDK without Symbian/Maemo support, etc.) and also to manually update/compile the Qt Mobility APIs.

Now I have only Nokia Qt SDK (v1.0) and I have executed the updater software to update the Qt Mobility APIs to 1.0.1 version. Now I am able to use the Qt Mobility APIs in my projects (in both emulator and target environments); all that was needed to be done was to configure the project .PRO file with the correct MOBILITY and CAPABILITIES configurations. There was no need to download QtMobility separately or compile it.

Only downside is that there seems to be a bug in QtMobility API 1.0.1 version causing not all QtMobility features to be available in Symbian target, and 1.0.2 is not yet available through updater software. So to use the 1.0.2 API I would need to download the QtMobility 1.0.2 version manually.

Thanks for the help on solving the issue.