Discussion Board

Question Unable to install Express signed application !!

Hello members,

I created an application which uses a third party BarCode scanning library which i want to get expressed signed.

I followed the following steps.

1.> Got a publisher id.

2.> Extracted the Key and certificate file from publisher id using the tcp12p8.bat tool.

3.> Got a protected UID.

4.> Replaced the UID everywhere in the application.

5.> Created the sis file using 3rd Ed MR SDK.

6.> signed the sis file with the publisher id (private key and certificate) using signsis.exe.

7.> created a readme.txt file explaing the behaviour of the application and how to test it.

8.> Created a .zip file containing the .sis (signed with publisher id) and the readme.txt.

9.> Got a content id for express signing. (EUR 10)

After this i had sent the packaged .zip file for Express Signing. I got the express signed sis within a minute.

With high hopes i tried installing it on a terminal (E71 in this case). but it fails when the staus bar is at the 3/4th position. Error "Unable to Install".

I thought there might be a problem with the protected UI so i changed it again and again spent 10 Euros to get it express signed but the same error.

Any suggestion on what might have gone wrong ?? (and how can i get my 20 Euros back )
    Abhishek karmakar

never- Never - NEVER -- !!! NEVER !!! GIVE UP

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Unable to install Express signed application !!

You should indeed test the sis with developer certificate before submitting to teh signing. Basically you propably have a item on the sis file that is already installed into teh device with some other sis.

Have you tested your application using Open Signed Offline ("developer certificate") first?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek_karmakar View Post
    Any suggestion on what might have gone wrong ?? (and how can i get my 20 Euros back )
    No, you cannot get it back. On the other hand I am afraid you have put your Publisher ID under danger condition when your express signed application comes under auditing process. Not sure though.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Thank you Gentlemen for the reply.

@Symbianyucca & @Wizard_hu : I tested the application with Developer certificate the following were the results.

1.> When I used an unprotected range as UID3 and build it ,the application installs Successfully.

2.> but, When i Install the application with a protected UID the installation fails.same error (Unable to install).

Is there something special with the UID's that i need to be careful about. I am changing the UID instance at 63 places in my project. Do you think i am missing it somewhere ?

Something else that i need to take care of ?
    Abhishek karmakar

That 63 places seems to be a bit too much, if you really need so many times, I would suggest using a constant or #define in a single header file.
    The installer itself is quite forgiving, it does not really check the content of the files, so check your .pkg file first.
    If you have access to S60 3rd FP2 or S60 5th device, you can try the method described here: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/lu...er-debug-guide

Thanks for the link Wizard_hu.. that is precisely what I was looking for. This morning I got myself another protected UID changed it everywhere in the application and again made a build and signed it with the Developer Certificate .. to see what error is bothering my installation but this time it got installed perfectly... even on a 3rd Edition FP1.. :-|

And now with the New Protected UID and developers certificate its working fine.

Do you think there could have been a problem with the earlier protected UID.

Should I now proceed with spending another 10 Euro and get it Express Signed ??
    Abhishek karmakar

I can not tell for sure, but if it works with devcert, I would also expect it to work with express signed.