Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Problem getMapping always null and other question

Hi,
    I'm newbie on nfc.
    I try example SimpleNDEFMIDlet of sdk and work fine, but I have more question:
    1) Method getMapping of TargetProperties give me always null, why? I use nfc tag of emulator.
    2) Example write a empty record, but what is better record to use?there is a particle principle to choose?
    3) When I write a recoder i must respect particular syntax?

Best regards

Re: Problem getMapping always null and other question

Hallo,

for 1): See the documentationof the TargetProperties interface:
    java.lang.String getMapping()

If the target type is RFID_TAG this method returns the name of the mapping between the commands in the PlainTagConnection and the physical target structure. The returned String can be, for example, "Mifare 1K". If the access to the tag is only supported through some target-specific connection interface the API implementation provides and not through the PlainTagConnection interface, this method returns null. If mapping name is provided for the RFID_TAG, the PlainTagConnection must be one of the connections returned with the method getConnectionNames. Mapping names ISO14443A and ISO14443B may be used to indicate protocol based mapping.

For NDEF_TAG targets this method returns the name and the version of the NDEF mapping, like for example, "JewelTag v1.0"". In both cases the mapping name is provided by the API implementation or by the physical tag manufacturer. For other target types the method must return null.

Returns:
    the name of the mapping, or null if target type does not have mapping
    So this means that it is up to the API implementation/the tag manufacturer to supply a mapping name. In this case I would believe that no mapping names where defined.

for 2): I don't really know what you are trying to ask here.

for 3): That depends on what type of record you would like to write:
    * For standardized records (like Text RTD, URI RTD, Smart Poster RTD, ...): yes, you have to obey the NFC Forum RTD specifications (You can find them here.)
    * For custom record type definitions (like NFC Forum External Type) you have to follow the general record format, but you are free to define your own payload format for them.

br,
    Michael

Regular Contributor

Re: Problem getMapping always null and other question

Quote Originally Posted by mroland View Post
    Hallo,

for 1): See the documentationof the TargetProperties interface:

So this means that it is up to the API implementation/the tag manufacturer to supply a mapping name. In this case I would believe that no mapping names where defined.

for 2): I don't really know what you are trying to ask here.

for 3): That depends on what type of record you would like to write:
    * For standardized records (like Text RTD, URI RTD, Smart Poster RTD, ...): yes, you have to obey the NFC Forum RTD specifications (You can find them here.)
    * For custom record type definitions (like NFC Forum External Type) you have to follow the general record format, but you are free to define your own payload format for them.

br,
    Michael

Many thaks for reply
    Best regards