Discussion Board

Unhappy Why is the N900 not supported?

So, I was trying to learn how to publish my little game at the Ovi store at some point when it's ready. I got to this page: https://publish.ovi.com/info/learnmore.html which gives some technical overview of what can be published. Apparently no apps can be published for the N900, as the only possible app types are Symbian C++ or Java apps. Oh, and Flash, of course. None of those work on the N900.

Wasn't Qt supposed to be this new thing for all new apps? No mention of that on the Ovi site. Nor of Maemo. I will definitely not register as a developer and pay the 50€ just to find out that it really is not possible to publish my app, at that point I guess it's quite hard to get a refund for the fee. Apparently the tiny amount of N900 apps that are on the store that I can browse using my N900 were added using some other means.

This is not the way to get developers to make quality apps for the only Nokia phone that currently is anywhere near worth having.

Re: Why is the N900 not supported?

You can publish N900 apps on OVI, see here http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ovi-publisher-alert

(its one of only three devices you can!)

"Q: Why does the Ovi Store allow Qt content only for the N97 mini, X6, and N900? I am able to install and test Qt content on other devices, such as the E71.
    A: For now, we have limited the support to these devices to ensure the quality of the Ovi Store content and user experience. We are currently working on resolving the remaining issues for S60 3rd Ed and S60 5th Ed devices. We will announce support for these devices once the issues have been fixed."

but no QtMobility for N900-

"Q: Can Qt Mobility APIs be used to create applications for Ovi Store?
    A: Qt Mobility can be used with applications for Symbian devices. For N900, Qt Mobilty is not officially supported yet so we cannot accept applications that use Qt Mobility. "

Someone ought to fix the main information pages to be a bit more up-to-date then? How long has the N900 been out? A year almost? The page http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ovi-publisher-alert mentions the N900, but it's not what I would call "documentation" that aids new potential developers.

I assume the official standpoint is that the N900 is not to be supported too much, that the old Symbian thingies is where the future lies?

Super Contributor

Folks. for me, Qt Mobility is nothing but a major pile of junk.

Just use native code where neccessary - and you will have an ovi legal and so much better app...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

How is Qt Mobility not "native code"? It's just a library...

Anyway, no official comments from anyone that has anything to do with Ovi? Well, I didn't actually expect to see Nokia support developers, it's just not how Nokia works. Where are the damn docs for how to do Ovi publishing for the N900?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jekholm View Post
    How is Qt Mobility not "native code"? It's just a library...

Anyway, no official comments from anyone that has anything to do with Ovi? Well, I didn't actually expect to see Nokia support developers, it's just not how Nokia works. Where are the damn docs for how to do Ovi publishing for the N900?
    The only thing that's ever been stated is that this must me the output of the Nokia Qt SDK.

This is the only announcement on 23rd June 2010 which alludes to the possibility, but does not describe how and says more about Symbian than Maemo or N900 publishing
    There are only 7 paid items and 4 publisher as of 10-aug-2010.

The publisher manual makes no reference to Maemo/n900 loading or QC
    Thanks,
    Jim

SUBJECT: Public beta of Nokia signing Symbian apps for free and developing with the Nokia Qt SDK 1.0

Starting today, Nokia is increasing developers’ opportunities and lowering barriers by supporting individual developers, reducing investment costs and releasing a tool for cross-platform app development for Symbian and Maemo devices - the Nokia Qt SDK 1.0.

We’re announcing several things that you as an Ovi Publisher should be interested in:
    • Public beta of Nokia signing Symbian apps for free
    • Availability of Nokia Qt SDK 1.0
    • Availability of Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian
    • Ovi Store intake for Qt apps

Public beta of Nokia signing Symbian apps for free
    The goal here is to lower the barrier to entry for Ovi Publishers by simplifying the tools and the process, as well as removing some of the cost associated with developing mobile apps for distribution in Ovi Store. For Ovi Publishers creating Symbian apps there are initial investment costs such as obtaining a Publisher ID and paying a third party to have their apps Symbian signed. Currently, this can take around four weeks, and impose expenses for the developer up to $215 (USD). With this public beta, we are exploring a developer workflow to reduce the time for Ovi Publishers to two weeks and bring the cost involved to $0 (USD). At this time apps written with Qt, Symbian C++, and Adobe Flash Lite are supported. If you’re interested in participating in this public beta, please send an email to publishtoovi.support@nokia.com with your Ovi Publish username and you’ll receive more details.

Availability of the Qt SDK 1.0
    The Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 is available starting today (http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/), and it offers a true cross-platform development environment allowing developers to create applications for both Symbian and Maemo devices. Installation is easy, as it only requires one installation package that downloads all of the Qt and Symbian/Maemo components that developers need using the same Qt Creator 2.0 as standard Qt SDK’s for use on Windows, Linux and Mac (beta). The Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 includes the Qt 4.6 libraries plus additional API’s for mobile development. With a fast, new simulator along with on-device debugging and the ability to compile to both .sis (Symbian) or .deb (Maemo) packages, it provides developers with a great opportunity to start creating amazing apps right away.

Availability of Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian
    Qt developers can use the new Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 to easily bundle the Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian SIS with their app SIS to reach millions of users with Nokia Symbian devices worldwide. When an end user downloads an app, the Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian will check for dependencies, and if any missing files or Qt libraries are detected the Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian will download them from Nokia servers.

Ovi Store intake for Qt apps
    Finally, Qt developers can upload Qt Symbian apps targeting both the Nokia N97 mini and Nokia X6, as well as Qt Maemo apps for the Nokia N900 mobile computer. The Nokia N8 will be supported when it’s released later this year, and additional Nokia Symbian (5.0 and 3.1/3.2) devices will be supported in the future, allowing Qt developers to reach a growing market of Nokia users worldwide. Applications will be published to Ovi Store beginning next month.

We’re excited to share these new announcements with you and are always happy to hear your thoughts. If you have any questions please send an email to Ovi Publish support, publishtoovi.support@nokia.com.

Sincerely,

Ovi Store Publisher Support Team
    http://publish.ovi.com/

Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotions.ovi.com/omt

So Nokia clearly does not see the Maemo devices as worth supporting. Well, compared to the amount of Symbian devices out there the number is minimal.

Ok, as I'll never touch Symbian and it's not possible to reliably deploy for Maemo/Meego I have no real choice but to abandon my ideas for making this game into a Maemo/Meego thing. I'll instead just focus on the Qt desktop version and later port it to the iPhone and iPad instead.

I also find it scary and sad that there are no Nokia persons answering these questions and clarifying misconceptions. The mind boggles for how unprofessional this feels to a newbie in this publishing field.

Super Contributor

DON't touch Mobility APIs.
    Use native code.

Go to top of post, and read again. I have been preaching this for over a year and fared well with it.,
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    DON't touch Mobility APIs.
    Use native code.
    Would you care to elaborate why Mobility is not native? Native means to normal developers "code that is compiled into the native library or executable format of the platform", and that Mobility does just fine. Perhaps you didn't see the topic, but this thread is not about
    Mobility but instead about N900 publishing. Please hijack some other thread.

Super Contributor

My dear jenkholm,
    I was referring to this npassage:
    but no QtMobility for N900-

"Q: Can Qt Mobility APIs be used to create applications for Ovi Store?
    A: Qt Mobility can be used with applications for Symbian devices. For N9
    From the point of view of a Qt developer, Qt Mobility is part of Qt and not a part of the underlying operating system!

Is this now clearer?

With compliments
    My other blogs:

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    My dear jenkholm,
    I was referring to this npassage:

From the point of view of a Qt developer, Qt Mobility is part of Qt and not a part of the underlying operating system!

Is this now clearer?
    Not at all. So you advocate not using Qt to make apps? Anyway, what does this have to do with my problem?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Wasn't Qt supposed to be this new thing for all new apps? No mention of that on the Ovi site. Nor of Maemo. I will definitely not register as a developer and pay the 50€ just to find out that it really is not possible to publish my app, at that point I guess it's quite hard to get a refund for the fee. Apparently the tiny amount of N900 apps that are on the store that I can browse using my N900 were added using some other means.(
    The Nokia Smart Installer will eventually take care of this. The problem is you'd have to download the Qt DLLeverytime you downloaded a Qt App to ensure that it is the correct version for your application. This makes the packages very big and so Ovi Store did not support it. With the smart installer you can download the app, and the installer will see if you hve the right version and only update it as necessary.

Nokia World and Nokia Developer Summit are next month in London. Usually there are surprises at those conventions.

Ron

Super Contributor

Not at all. So you advocate not using Qt to make apps? Anyway, what does this have to do with my problem?
    You can create apps in Qt for the Maemo - if you do NOT use the Qt Mobility libraries.

With compliments
    Tam Hanna
    My other blogs: