Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How I get my own mobile number?

I am student of final year M.TECH. I am doing my research on Location Management. so I want to know how can I get my own mobile number from my mobile phone programmatically in J2ME? Can anyone help me?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How I get my own mobile number?

you could search this forum for discussions fetching the MSISDN, basically you can not really get it.

Hi all,
    Is it possible to get my own mobile number programmatically in J2ME?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lovely_chatterjee View Post
    Hi all,
    Is it possible to get my own mobile number programmatically in J2ME?
    Direct answer is no, you cannot get the MSISDN, if you ask why then the answer is because the phone itself does not store it anywhere, there is no J2ME API for you to get it..AFAIK there is no API in Symbain too.

In some cases when it is stored inside the SIM ,however I suspect if any operators do that, I don't think there's a Java API to get it from right there.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Hi raj_J2ME,
    Thanks for your reply.

There is another problem I faced that I have to write codes to get position/location of any mobile phone. I wrote it and ran in WTK2.5.2. It is running also. But the problem is that it returnes the location as (0.0,0.0).
    Is it correct ? If not what do I do? If yes what is the reason? Please tell me.

Super Contributor

well depends on how you are trying to establish the position ?
    Btw you simply cannot establish the position of any phone, some can through the Location API (JSR-179) but this means that that specific phone will need a (integrated or external) GPS receiver... Another option would be to try to retrieve the cellid (has bee ndiscussed many many times so check the forum and/or wiki) and then use that in combinationwith an external database to actually retrieve a location according to the retrieved cellid...
    btw if I look at your post (0.0,0.0) I guess you are trying to retrieve the gps position, your emulator obviously does not have a GPS receiver so it might return a default value (thus 0.0,0.0)
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Nokia Developer Champion

There is another problem I faced that I have to write codes to get position/location of any mobile phone. I wrote it and ran in WTK2.5.2. It is running also. But the problem is that it returnes the location as (0.0,0.0).
    Is it correct ? If not what do I do? If yes what is the reason? Please tell me.
    For testing GPS app on your emulator - just try to pass the GPS location by using External Event Generator - of the default Emulator. Set the Lat / Log in the external event generator and see if you get them on your application running on the device. You can also provide a time based script to keep on changing the location of emulator and enables you to test location change and proximity listener.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Hello im2amit,
    yes it is running for simulator.

Hi all,
    How do I get the name of actual area from service provider from mobile device's latitude and longitude?

Super Contributor

you cannot provide a longitue and latitude to a service provider (like vodafone/t-mobile) and receive the actual area...
    what you can do though is use reverse geo-coding (google that!) to get an adress from a latitude/longitude coordinate... Several free web-services are available for that...
    the only thing a provider can supply is a cell-id, after that it's up to you to couple that cell-id with a location/area, by using an online database containing both (thus the cell-id's and where they are situated, thus their area)...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Hi,
    What type of web services you told about? Can you tell it a little elaborately plz..?

Super Contributor

well exactly what I typed : there are several free web services (and/or companies) who offer a geocoding (and reverse geocoding) service...
    If you are wondering what web-services are, or what reverse geocoding is or which companies actually offer those via web for free I'd refer you to google... It's a good idea that you first have a good understanding of what those technologies are beofre you even start using them...

Hi,
    Is there any table or database where service provider keeps track of the address with the location i.e. latitude and longitude?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,
    Is there any table or database where service provider keeps track of the address with the location i.e. latitude and longitude?
    propably not, anyway, just search google for reverse geocoding service providers, and you can get the funcitonality handled by the services you can find.

i m also hunting for getting own number in symbian but no success. most of ppl say its not possible but i have an mobile application installed on My N72 for phone tracking it detects sim change and send own number to two Pri declared phone numbers. that means its possible to find out current number. but how I dont know.