Discussion Board

Unhappy Nokia 5800 v50, getting "Invalid server name" with ad-hoc wlan with windows 7

Hello all,

After upgrading to v50 firmware in my nokia 5800 xpress music phone.

I am not able to connect to ad-hoc wlan network in my laptop(windows 7 os).

I have a dialup internet connection and created wireless ad-hoc network to access the internet in my phone. But i am getting "invalid server name" in the phone and my wireless network access type in windows 7 shows "no internet access".

I am able to connect to wlan infrastructure network using 5800 in my office. So my phone is working with wlan and i m able to access internet on it. BUT The problem with is "dial up with ICS enabled" and "AD-HOC wlan network" in Windows 7.

Can anyone give some solution on it. Or can you provide a guide/tutorial to connect 5800 with adhoc network and dialup internet in windows 7.

System:
    Windows 7
    Dial up internet connection with ICS enabled.
    Ad-Hoc wireless network with WEP
    Nokia 5800 Xpress Music phonw

Note: I have read other posts also and tried their solutions but didnt worked for me. the first solution is to bridge the network and access it. but how can i bridge the dialup and wlan netwok?
    second solution is manually configure IP and DNS addresses in phone. But what should i add as IP and DNS as my dial up and adhoc network have automatic addresses.

Let me know if i am missing something.

Thanks.

Re: Nokia 5800 v50, getting "Invalid server name" with ad-hoc wlan with windows 7

i have exactly the same problem with my nokia 5530 XM
    hope to find a solution soon ...!

Re: Nokia 5800 v50, getting "Invalid server name" with ad-hoc wlan with windows 7

This is the problem in Windows PC's.
    I'm facing this in my Vista, When you create a ad-hoc network, make sure its status is "Local and Internet" in "Network and Sharing Center".

Quote Originally Posted by karthikmscss View Post
    This is the problem in Windows PC's.
    I'm facing this in my Vista, When you create a ad-hoc network, make sure its status is "Local and Internet" in "Network and Sharing Center".
    that says "No Internet Access".

Nokia Developer Expert

Welcome to all of you for coming to the Forum Nokia Developer discussion board. Unfortunately as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, we mainly discuss development related issues in here, thus you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Hello, I've had the same problem. A Nokia 5800 trying to connect to Windows ICS gets the "invalid server name".

But I've seen that it works fine in Ubuntu/Linux. I don't know why it works in Linux and not in Windows but this could be useful for developers.
    In Ubuntu/Linux you have to choose "WEP 40/128-bit security".

Maybe this won't be a solution for you but it could be for someone else who come here with the same problem.