Discussion Board

Thread: video streaming

video streaming

hai.................
    iam a final year student ...i want to do project in j2me............video streaming............will anyone please help me by providing me a guidance to do it.............along with code please......i played video in a mobile.........where the video is stored in tomcat server...................but i dont know how to stream it.............

Re: video streaming

hi, are you aware that (even Series 40) Nokia phones support Audio/Video streaming built-in without the need of Java?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: video streaming

you should give a look at the MMAPI (JSR-135), it supports rtsp streaming out of the box...
    also, as mentioned by jaindivya, most devices come shipped with a native player which can stream rtsp...
    in S60 devices you can even start the native player with a platformRequest() call whilst supplying it the url you want to stream from...
    Just take into account that rtsp streaming is somewhat laggy and is prone to data-packets being lost... So quality-wise it can be very dissapointing... Also, even though many S40 devices do support rtsp, they don't support the faster networks (like 3G and 3.5G) which results in low-bitrate streaming or laggy playing
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.