Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Advanced VOIP settings on E72

Hello,

first of all, sorry for my english, so i'll try to be comprehensive.

I use my E72 as a mobile phone and like a "home phone" over wifi/SIP.

I've downloaded advanced VOIP settings and after a long time spent to play (because i'm a kind of geek, else this could be a full time job) with million options (at least 1 million more than old native client called "internet call" ) I get it work.

I'm now trying to get rid of last ultimate "software integration bugs" that make me crazy.

first question : Why working "internet call" client has been replaced by a "sip client like" that is near impossible to get it work without telecom engineer knowledge ? Perhaps it could be a good idea to have choice between "internet call" OR "advanced voip settings" OR "operator client" in cases you are "customer with personnal SIP", "engineer" or "customer with operator SIP".

So, back to "advanced VOIP settings integration bugs" that make me crazy :

If ever a "failed to connect" error append, I have to reboot my phone to get it work back.
    Manually deativating and activating service don't work. changing network nor, only reboot resolve problem.

Integration in S60 is so poor that to use SIP, there's 3 distinct menus !
    1 - in control panel / settings / connection / sip settings
    2 - in control panel / connectivity / net settings
    3 - in contact, left arrow, down arrow, to activate or deactivate service
    Very easy of use when you have million parameters to test and when reboot is necessary after a "failed to connect error"

and to finnish with integration problem, the "internet call mailbox" settings :
    In 2nd menu (in control panel / connectivity / net settings) I was able to set "voicemailbox adress" and "voicemailbox listen adress" to have shortcut appear when long press on 1 button.
    but, when receive a new mailbox message, an icon appear on stanby screen with another shortcut to "voice mailbox" or "internet call mailbox", but "internet call mailbox" shortcut doesn"t work at all, and it's impossible to set it anywhere.

So, I remember you your own lesson I've read today : http://www.forum.nokia.com/Design/Us...ience_program/ and play with flash anim ...

That's my user experience, only for this app, because the more i use my phone, the more i'm disappointed, only with built in app ! so you can understand that before going to any "nOVIa-store" I expect that built in app work fine.

Thanks to be as patient while reading me that I am to configure my phone.

Nemric

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Advanced VOIP settings on E72

Please post these product type questions at http://www.nokia.com/discussions/ Forum Nokia is for developer support and has no expertise in VoIP settings

Ron

Hi, thanks for you answer.

Sorry for posting in wrong forum, but as written on this page: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Library/T...ications.xhtml
    The SIP VoIP Settings applications are offered to you unsupported. If you encounter problems with the applications, you may be able to find solutions by using the VoIP forum (note : with link to this discussion board) on the Forum Nokia Discussion Boards.
    I came here to find help about application bugs and integration in my phone (and many others I think).

As I said in my first post, I'm a kind of geek, so I'm used to RTFM. So it works fine, i can send and receive calls, but the sip voip settings app or SIP stack have problem to restart correctly when a "connection failed" error append. I have to reboot the phone.

I don't have any problem to enter my voip settings, but this app is not enough stable and integration in S60 is not complete.

Perhaps could you tel me how to solve my problems with this app in talling me how to debug it ?
    I'm on the way to learn a mobile programming langage like QT or python ... perhaps starting by shortcuts or reinit sip stack could be a good training. Or is it possible to find the "standard internet call" client ?

thanks

nemric, Forum Nokia is targeted towards developers. The mentioned SIP tool is targeted towards VoIP service providers (and their administrators). They test and debug their VoIP service with that tool. After that, they create a configuration in XML. Then, that final configuration is distributed as SMS or via the link in Net settings » Download.
    Quote Originally Posted by nemric View Post
    If you encounter problems with the applications, you may be able to find solutions by using the VoIP forum (note : with link to this discussion board) on the Forum Nokia Discussion Boards.
    First of all, this link is mentioned to avoid more comments by users on that webpage. Furthermore, because this tool is for providers, they know their settings. However, they might found a problem with Nokia clients. They search this forum and (should) find a solution.

You try to be clever and bypass your provider, a case for which Nokia does not provide support, except through end-user support and even there only through community channels.
    to get it work without telecom engineer knowledge ?
    Actually, you realised that already. Although you could (and can) debate about that attitude. Especially, with the possibility to have your own VoIP service within your home network (like a router with VoIP/SIP capabilities). Again, Forum Nokia would the wrong place to discuss this.
    If ever a "failed to connect" error append, I have to reboot my phone to get it work back.
    Not normal. With the help of a Wireshark trace, you should be able to know, what might cause this.
    Integration in S60 is so poor that to use SIP, there's 3 distinct menus !
    Integration is (near to) perfect, when you get (a working) configuration from your provider. Although deactivating a service could be more prominent and handling of network destinations could be more stable.
    in control panel / settings / connection / sip settings
    With the VoIP settings tool, there is no need to go to this SIP settings anymore. Furthermore, if your VoIP/SIP service would be 100% Nokia compatible, all you have to do is to go to Net settings » Advanced » Create new service.

Hi traud, Thanks for full answer,

The more I read informations on nokia and SIP, the more I think that we don't have same services depending of the country.

As I know, there's not any gsm provider that give voip settings in france. My voip provider is my internet provider with TV and home phone, it gave me a login and a password (and optional certificate for hotspot authentication) for all things.

I had a N95 that let me discover this very usefull service, with no problems, and only SIP settings to set, and "internet tel" client.

Integration is (near to) perfect
    I'm so desapointed to read this ! The "internet tel" client was perfect, and now i must use a near perfect client from FP1 to FP2 ... for me it goes back.

With the VoIP settings tool, there is no need to go to this SIP settings anymore
    You're wrong, I had to configure proxy and registrar.

So, the bugs I try to get rid of are not really important because my voip works fine (near as perfect as on my old N95). but these bugs can't be resolved by a provider XML file, for example, shortcuts for "internet call mailbox", or the impossibility to reconnect after a "failed to connect" error.

I'll try to capture sip packets from my router with tcpdump and try to reproduce this error that append some time.

Else, could you tell me how to make a "xml config file" as a provider ? in case there's an option to "reinit" sip stack or what i'll discover with tcpdump, or setting native mailbox shortcut anywhere in my phone or anything else.

In any case I will give here my results.

Thanks.

edit :
    Can you confirm me that tcpdump must listen 5060 port ?
    Last edited by nemric; 2010-08-19 at 15:44.

In your case, I would not waste time with a VoIP operator which does not care about Nokia.
    I think that we don't have same services depending of the country.
    Do not mix the settings tool with one setting (I call it: configuration) for a single VoIP provider. Your VoIP, not your GSM provider has to supply this configuration.
    I had a N95 that let me discover this very usefull service, with no problems, and only SIP settings to set, and "internet tel" client.
    Lucky your were. Several useful things do not work then, like caller-id with phone book look-up.
    You're wrong, I had to configure proxy and registrar.
    ‘You had to’. With a service which cares about his users, you would not have to. This feature is not just related to Nokia. With such a provider (who cares about its user but is not into Nokia, yet), you download the settings tool, search and find that tool, enter your username, password (plus some questions) and you are done.
    These bugs can't be resolved by a provider XML file, for example, shortcuts for "internet call mailbox", or the impossibility to reconnect after a "failed to connect" error.
    Are you sure?
    Can you confirm me that tcpdump must listen 5060 port ?
    You should capture all packets, perhaps you have a STUN issue. Capturing the network (of your router) from an attached your computer, does not work, therefore, make sure your (WLAN and/or) Internet router does this capturing.

Back with a sip tcpdump capture.

But since some time i'm unable to connect with E72 or N95.

The capture : <-- send ; --> receive
    Code:
    <-- Request-Line: REGISTER sip:MYprovider.net:5060;transport=UDP SIP/2.0
    --> Status-Line: SIP/2.0 100 Trying
    --> Status-Line: SIP/2.0 500 Internal Server Error
    Connection is possible witn xlite or qutecom (sip pc client) but not with my nokia mobiles.

I will try to look near my provider for this F*$!&é"G new problem.

Do you see the content of those messages exchanged (especially the 500 one) as well?

Yes of course ! I'll post it ASAP.

hi,
    Here is the near full packet capture.let me know if it's not enough (not so easy to copy/paste as text full packet from wireshark)
    My Phone number, provider adress and external ip are volontary misspelled

Code:
    SIP/2.0 500 Internal Server Error
    Call-ID: gqvmvyAjoIdiAgcudRoO81yaW01sZX
    CSeq: 3150 REGISTER
    From: <sip:09507806XX@PROVIDER.net>;tag=6m1tcvi1vphc7sqr0cfX
    To: <sip:09507806XX@PROVIDER.net>;tag=00-30931-01ba789a-0da393955
    Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.10.52:5060;received=82.226.25.XX;rport=5060;branch=z9hG4bKv9udcvnlh1hc6kao0cf3f3X
    Content-Length: 0

Nothing special in that message. By the way, you can copy and paste full messages much easier when opening the log in a text-editor. Did I understand you correctly: All your Nokia devices do not work anymore? Your SIP provider might introduced a misconfiguration. I recommend to ask your provider or find other users of your provider who use their Nokia successfully. Then you are able to compare SIP messages and someone might spot the difference.

Hi,
    After near a full day trying to find how to have sip service working (with deleting proxy settings which are not used any more), I'm back for my first problem, witch is a real problem now !

Code:
    Here is packet capture from my router after a "failed to connect" error occured and while trying to reconnect !

not very helpfull ! The phone don't connect the internet with sip service, but it's ok with mail, web and other apps ... what do you think about that ? I'm so surprised.

Is there a way to log phone events ? Is there a shell with which I could show some progress by starting in command line sip service in verbose mode ?

I noticed that network connection is starting, but after few seconds, the phone ask me about which WLAN I want to use (despite default destination defined), I select mine and after many tests, I found in "destinations / intranet" as network as tests, written like that : Wlan(01), Wlan(02), Wlan(03), ... so isn't it a problem with network destinations and the way SIP service use them ?

I won't write anything about firmware, nokia, the fact that I only use native apps and the fact that I spend much of my free time tying to get it work normaly ... so disapointed.

Sounds like you screwed up your destination networks. Try to move them around into other destinations. However up now, I am not aware of any other trick and in that case I had to reset my devices completely.

Hi, thanks traud.

I've called "nokia care" that remember me that I could "hard reset" my phone, but without restoring backuped settings, as you said finally.
    I had a lot of parameters ... but I did it.
    so, now I only use 1 destination with 2 WLAN , @home and @work, so, no need to use priority, phone can only find one network at the same time, there's 3g network to in this destination.
    Problem is still there ! but without new wlan(xx), problem that appear only once finally.
    I noticed a new fact, device were not able to find network during a very short time, as if wifi was down, and after that, I was able to reconnect without restarting ...

I've found on forum.nokia the s60 sdk, the ecmt server and succesfully connect the device expecting having logs of any kind, but nothing, I finally understand that it's used for debug mode for own app in debug mode. perhaps could I start voip in commant line with a command like :

Code:
    sdk.exe -target:device voip -vv
    I've found some samples written in C for using SIP in C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1\S60CppExamples\SIPExample, I don't really know how to use it ...

"Nokia care" have to call me back on next monday (11 oct.) perhaps will they have some feedback about it ...

I'll try to see the sun this week end ... see you on monday ...

Hi,

Sun and motorbike where fun, back to SIP problem.

I've news, during my last capture, I noticed an ICMP type 3 code 3 : from RFC :

A host SHOULD generate Destination Unreachable messages with code: 2 (Protocol Unreachable), when the designated transport protocol is not supported; or 3 (Port Unreachable), when the designated transport protocol (e.g., UDP) is unable to demultiplex the datagram but has no protocol mechanism to inform the sender.
    with some research I found this :

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...-on-UDP-socket
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ilure_recovery
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...achable-packet
    and of course, what is symbian error -2 ? :
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...OS_Error_Codes

So I feel now that I'm absolutly unable to resolve this kind of error alone ... don't know how to prevent icmp type3 code3 error (I've read something about MTU ... ) or reinit socket that visibly stay on -2 error after this protocol message ...

As far as i can remember, UDP packet are not resent on error (but I'm not network expert and can't "spell?" all 7 layers with its use), so why does sip stack (or anything else) take care about it and stop working instead of waiting for another UDP packet it could "demultiplex " ...