Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Password protected gallery in pys60

is it possible to create that kind of application in pyS60? thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Password protected gallery in pys60

So you want to create your own gallery application that only opens if the user enters the correct password? Yes, it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    So you want to create your own gallery application that only opens if the user enters the correct password? Yes, it's possible.
    can you give me some tips on how to do it?

Super Contributor

Well, the password protection is easy. Just come up with a password and ask the user to enter it (using an appuifw query). If the password is correct, load the application. If not, ask for the correct password again.

The gallery part might be a bit more work. You would have to check what media files are on the device (see os.listdir(path) for all the files, and check which have the appropriate extensions). Then, display them on a Canvas: How to use Canvas.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have

ok. thanks for your help.

Well, the password protection is easy. Just come up with a password and ask the user to enter it (using an appuifw query). If the password is correct, load the application. If not, ask for the correct password again.

The gallery part might be a bit more work. You would have to check what media files are on the device (see os.listdir(path) for all the files, and check which have the appropriate extensions). Then, display them on a Canvas: How to use Canvas.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have
    hi, can i ask what do you mean by what media files in the device and these extensions?

Super Contributor

Since it's a gallery application, you will want to display photos, right? So you will have to retrieve those files. There are two ways of doing it:
    1. If you're using PyS60 2.0, the scriptext module provides the Media Management service.
    2. On any version of PyS60, you can get a list of all files in a directory using os.listdir(directory_path). Then you can check which of them have image extensions (such as jpg, bmp etc.). Those are the ones you want.

Since it's a gallery application, you will want to display photos, right? So you will have to retrieve those files. There are two ways of doing it:
    1. If you're using PyS60 2.0, the scriptext module provides the Media Management service.
    2. On any version of PyS60, you can get a list of all files in a directory using os.listdir(directory_path). Then you can check which of them have image extensions (such as jpg, bmp etc.). Those are the ones you want.
    oh i got it.. thanks!!so if i want to display all the media files i have to search all the extensions needed(.mp3,wav,3gp,bmp,jpg) ryt? and import it in python?
    coz i am goin to make an application that will prompt a pssword before entering the gallery and the messagin icon , if it is ryt then u can browse with those files..
    am i ryt?hmm.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by snicker..doodle View Post
    oh i got it.. thanks!!so if i want to display all the media files i have to search all the extensions needed(.mp3,wav,3gp,bmp,jpg) ryt? and import it in python?
    coz i am goin to make an application that will prompt a pssword before entering the gallery and the messagin icon , if it is ryt then u can browse with those files..
    am i ryt?hmm.
    If you mean the phone's gallery and messaging application, like in your other thread, that's been answered there: it's not possible with PyS60. If you mean make your own gallery and messaging application then yes, that's the idea.

If you mean the phone's gallery and messaging application, like in your other thread, that's been answered there: it's not possible with PyS60. If you mean make your own gallery and messaging application then yes, that's the idea.
    ahmm im a little bit confused bout that.. lets say that im done with my own gallery and inbox password enabled.. is it possible that the user can still access my files not using my own appplication? i mean after i installed the application, will this application overwrite the phones gallery and messaging?

Super Contributor

ahmm im a little bit confused bout that.. lets say that im done with my own gallery and inbox password enabled.. is it possible that the user can still access my files not using my own appplication? i mean after i installed the application, will this application overwrite the phones gallery and messaging?
    No. Those applications (as well as others, if it's the case) will work fine, and be able to access the files. That's why I said in the other thread that it's not possible with Python.

No. Those applications (as well as others, if it's the case) will work fine, and be able to access the files. That's why I said in the other thread that it's not possible with Python.
    so it's useless to make that application in python. because users can still access through the phones gallery and messaging?

Super Contributor

so it's useless to make that application in python. because users can still access through the phones gallery and messaging?
    Yes, exactly.

Yes, exactly.
    thanks bogdan.. so the next plan is carbide c++ ryt? or do u hve any other suggestions in PL to use?

Super Contributor

I recommend you ask if it's possible to do it in C++ in the Symbian C++ forum. I really don't think any other language allows you to do it. Symbian C++ is the native language, so it has the most functionality.