Discussion Board

Question Can't find following header in system include path (MProfilesNamesArray.h)

Hi all ,

I have Symbian S60 3rd Ed FP1 SDK installed , and when I was trying to compile my file which requires header files related to System Profile , I got "Can't find following header in system include path " error , So I downloaded (S60_3rd_Ed_SDK_FP1_API_Plug-In_Pack_v2_5.zip) and extracted (ProfilesEngineExtendedAPI.ZIP) over \epoc32 folder which solved a lot of missing header files ....... But now I'm stuck with (MProfilesNamesArray.h , MProfileName.h) missing files , I searched the entire API Plug-In but I couldn't find it , Can anyone tell me where I can find it ???

Many thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can't find following header in system include path (MProfilesNamesArray.h)

I'm nearly sure the file is part of the 3rd ed MR package, and that the API has changed between MR & FP1, so your code is propably for MR version of the API.

Many thanks for your reply ,

I'v downloaded the (S60_3rd_SDK_MR_API_Plug-In_Pack_v5_43.zip) version and I found these files in it , and Yes my code is for MR version , but I want to use it on FP1 , So can you give me a hint where can I find the equivelant headers , Does the SDK documentation talks about these changes ??

I'm sorry but I'm new in SymbianC++, Coming from PyS60 world

Any help would be appreciated.

The API is not part of public SDK, and there is always a reason why something is nt part of public SDK. One common reason being that the API interface can change between different versions, and another being that no-compatibility is not necessarily maintained with the API.

So as you can see that the API has changed between MR & FP1, it is likely that the MR version is not compatible with FP1 version. And as the API is not part of public SDK, there are really no docuemntations on the changes in the SDK.

Anyway, sofar in places where I have used the FP1 API it has worked with FP2 as well as 5th ed devices, though no compatibility on there are promised either. So if you really need to functionality that has changed, then I would suggest you to try with MR first, see whether it works on all target devices you are supporting. And if it does not, try making a separate version with FP1 and repeat tests with all other than MR devices to see whether you could do with two separate versions.

Super Contributor

PlugIn SDK does not promise anytype of compatibility, but i suggest you try using the MR plugin headers on FP1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    PlugIn SDK does not promise anytype of compatibility, but i suggest you try using the MR plugin headers on FP1 too.
    Dangerous suggestions, I would not be brave enough to suggest that really. Anyway, as the API plug-in APIs are used on your own risk of any compatibility, with this approach you would be taking a quite much higher risk on it. it is not recommended on copying between SDKs in first place, and when the API is clearly changed, it usually does not really give any good results.

Super Contributor

:-) yes that is true. IFF the MR headers works and tested one targeted device without any problem. then i donot see any problem.

Many thanks alot for all your suggesstions ,

This article :
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...60_3rd_Edition
    Using MProfilesNamesArray.h which belongs to MR , and it says it works for FP1 , can you give me your opinion ??

And where can I find an article that uses FP1 to change profiles ???

Super Contributor

As suggested already you can use the headers but it is in your own risk. Before releasing to market you have to check on all devices you are targeting to make sure the API used is not creating any problem,.

I thought about doing this but I was afraid it may cause more errors , So I was asking how can I get code to do switching and getting system profiles , Do I ask here for a code ???

and in the future if I find a code that may require MR not FP1 , How can I get a code that does the same on FP1 ??

I'm still new in SymbianC++ , And still discovering its new world and its resources.

Any recommendation for a begginer would be appreciated.

Super Contributor

PlugIn APIs are special API these are not the Regular APIs that come with SDK, Nokia being good to 3rd party developer has released these APIs to them (As said these APIs might not be mature to be included in normal SDK.)

That said i suggest you ignore the PlugIn SDK and try other General APIs that comes with the SDK as a starting point.