Discussion Board

Nokia X3-02, which SDK, and what about the soft keys?

Today i saw an announcement for Nokia X3-02 phone, which is a Series 40 phone with 240x320 resolution. I have a Java ME game that I want to work on it as well. I want to test it at least on the emulator, but I'm not sure which SDK I should use. Is it 6th Edition, or should we wait for a newer one?

Also, I noticed that the phone does not have the soft keys (left and right soft keys that are usually on top), so I think for now I will just overload some other keys (like *, #, 0) to carry out the same actions that i had hooked to the soft keys.

If anyone can shed any light on the SDK to use for this phone, SDK availability, and the soft keys issue, I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you.

EDIT:
    Found. Nokia already posted it: Series 40 6th Edition SDK, Feature Pack 1, and the emulator is based on the X3-02 phone. Alright, on to download and play with it.
    Last edited by levon.levonian; 2010-08-17 at 16:04.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Nokia X3-02, which SDK, and what about the soft keys?

Hi,

yes, there is an SDK available for it at http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...form_SDKs.html
    There are no physical softkeys in a product but e.g. for Java applications the softkeys are rendered by a platform on a bottom of the screen so no need to change any of your code.

I hope you like the product and the SDK and get your application verified with the emulator inside the SDK.

Regards,
    Jouko

Re: Nokia X3-02, which SDK, and what about the soft keys?

Thank you Jouko,

My game uses canvas in full screen mode, without any standard text for soft keys, and I was afraid that the lack of hardware keys would somehow require me to change the code. But I just tested the app and it turns out that the platform handles this easily by tracking those areas on the screen for touch events and invoking the same code as would have been there for soft keys. Very nice feature. I don't have to change anything in the code. Thanks!