Discussion Board

Unhappy Building HelloGLES example coming with Nokia Qt SDK

Should those examples that come with Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 work? Please tell me what I did wrong. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded and installed latest Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 today. Did a full install using offline Win32 installer.
    2. Opened the example included with the Nokia Qt SDK in path C:\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\opengl\hellogl_es
    3. Opened hellogl_es sample in Qt Creator (File -> Open File or Project... and chose "hellogl_es.pro"). I got warning ":: warning: The Symbian toolchain does not handle special characters in a project path well." but otherwise everything seemed to import ok.
    4. Clicked Projects tab on the left (from selections Welcome, Edit, Design (disabled), Debug, Projects, Help)
    5. Under "Targets" tab, chose "Build" button on "Symbian Device" box (where options are Build and Run) . Got: "qmake: qmake.exe hellogl_es.pro -r -spec symbian-abld -after OBJECTS_DIR=obj MOC_DIR=moc UI_DIR=ui RCC_DIR=rcc"
    6. Clicked the Build All (hammer icon on the very bottom left corner)
    7. Got about 130 build errors pretty much all tracing down to: "GL/gl.h': No such file or directory".

Shouldn't the examples that come with Nokia Qt SDK work without modifications? I can't build the example for any platform supported by the Nokia Qt SDK: not Symbian, Maemo, nor Simulator. I've tried this on a couple of PC machines already.

I also tried http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/trees/...ngl/hellogl_es but with same results.

Please help. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Building HelloGLES example coming with Nokia Qt SDK

Quote Originally Posted by JShank View Post
    Should those examples that come with Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 work? Please tell me what I did wrong. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded and installed latest Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 today. Did a full install using offline Win32 installer.
    2. Opened the example included with the Nokia Qt SDK in path C:\NokiaQtSDK\Examples\4.6\opengl\hellogl_es
    3. Opened hellogl_es sample in Qt Creator (File -> Open File or Project... and chose "hellogl_es.pro"). I got warning ":: warning: The Symbian toolchain does not handle special characters in a project path well." but otherwise everything seemed to import ok.
    4. Clicked Projects tab on the left (from selections Welcome, Edit, Design (disabled), Debug, Projects, Help)
    5. Under "Targets" tab, chose "Build" button on "Symbian Device" box (where options are Build and Run) . Got: "qmake: qmake.exe hellogl_es.pro -r -spec symbian-abld -after OBJECTS_DIR=obj MOC_DIR=moc UI_DIR=ui RCC_DIR=rcc"
    6. Clicked the Build All (hammer icon on the very bottom left corner)
    7. Got about 130 build errors pretty much all tracing down to: "GL/gl.h': No such file or directory".

Shouldn't the examples that come with Nokia Qt SDK work without modifications? I can't build the example for any platform supported by the Nokia Qt SDK: not Symbian, Maemo, nor Simulator. I've tried this on a couple of PC machines already.

I also tried http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/trees/...ngl/hellogl_es but with same results.

Please help. Thanks.
    Hi The reason this does not work is because the OpenGl library is not supported in Qt Simulator.
    The Symbian 5th Ed SDK and devices do support OpenGL ES and the ES is important. Some post say this may be supported in Qt in a later version, but this will be a low priority. There have been bug reports and basically these were the possible answers.

The fact is that only the Desktop OpenGL not ES is supported in Ubuntu Linux Qt X11. Basically I do not have the OpenGL hardware accelerated card, so the Ubuntu version of special software emulation is required.

Maemo for N900 compiles properly.

The article you need for Symbian is at Introduction to OpenGL ES on Forum Wiki
    and the article about general OpenGL ES Wikipedia

Currently I do not have Qt SDK building 5th Ed SDK. All the examples on "opengl" section will not build under Symbian or Simulator.

UPDATE:- 23/Aug/2010
    The OpenGL is installed be default in Windows kit. Using VS2008 c++ Express (community personal edition) to rebuild the Windows 32 kit 2010.04 Qt 4.6.2 the OpenGL examples support can be added. The " VS2008 c++ Express" is not supported by Nokia Qt team. This simply just happens to experimentally work.

NOTE:The VS2008 c++ Express is *NOT* supported and forces Nokia Qt SDK to an error, by thinking that the Standard/Pro version is installed. This is my/your problem and *NOT* a bug.
    VS2008 Studio Standard is only supported with the Qt addin support (purchasable with the commercial version of Qt)

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2010-08-23 at 09:51. Reason: update OpenGL is default install in Windows Qt Full distribution

Thank you for the information. I understand the Simulator doesn't support ogles, but is there a way to use Nokia Qt SDK to create fullscreen ogles app that

1) runs on symbian device (preferably the upcoming n8 and alike), and/or

2) runs on both N900 (maemo/meego) and n8?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JShank View Post
    Thank you for the information. I understand the Simulator doesn't support ogles, but is there a way to use Nokia Qt SDK to create fullscreen ogles app that

1) runs on symbian device (preferably the upcoming n8 and alike), and/or

2) runs on both N900 (maemo/meego) and n8?

Thanks.

You will need either N900 or N8 for testing. The same code should work for both devices, so if you have either of them, you should be ok. Another solution is to wait for new SDKs with OGL support. It's a shame (the simulator), but right now we just have to cope with it.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jounihat View Post
    You will need either N900 or N8 for testing. The same code should work for both devices, so if you have either of them, you should be ok. Another solution is to wait for new SDKs with OGL support. It's a shame (the simulator), but right now we just have to cope with it.
    If I understood correctly Qt Simulator target will support OpenGL, not OpenGLES. But you can run OpenGL applications on desktop without waiting for Nokia Qt SDK to maturize.

Thumbs down Re: Building HelloGLES example coming with Nokia Qt SDK

So, as far as I understand, as usual with nokia ..
    They provide a sample,

BUT

if you want to compile it

GO SEARCH why it DOESN'T work..

It's just that people releasing these samples should have checked that it compile on S60 and one of two:
    1. NOT INCLUDE THE SAMPLE AT ALL! (And not waste our time!)
    2. Make it compile / Give popup instructions on how to get opengl sources from whatever source it is, NOT LEAVE IT TO THE DEVELOPER TO GO AND MAKE RESEARCH on every little sample..

I wouldn't be angry if it weren't the usual case with NOKIA code samples.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rubizm View Post
    So, as far as I understand, as usual with nokia ..
    They provide a sample,

BUT

if you want to compile it

GO SEARCH why it DOESN'T work..

It's just that people releasing these samples should have checked that it compile on S60 and one of two:
    1. NOT INCLUDE THE SAMPLE AT ALL! (And not waste our time!)
    2. Make it compile / Give popup instructions on how to get opengl sources from whatever source it is, NOT LEAVE IT TO THE DEVELOPER TO GO AND MAKE RESEARCH on every little sample..

I wouldn't be angry if it weren't the usual case with NOKIA code samples.
    Qt is a cross platform framework and it comes with OpenGL, OpenGL ES 1.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0 samples. Not all platforms have support for these libraries, so you may not be able to compile all examples on all imaginable platforms. So as you see there is no problem with code samples at all.

Yes,
    If only this particular sample came within the Symbian SDK which Do not support it
    Last edited by rubizm; 2010-09-28 at 15:18.