Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

MachineId problem with RDA devices

Hi Forum Experts,

I want an alternative to IMEI number. The WRT library says that there is a device "MachineId" that is unique.
    (Reference : http://library.forum.nokia.com/index...77140A60D.html)
    I made a sample widget and used this MachineId.
    When I deployed my application on different N97 mini RDA devices, I was surprised to find out that the MachineId was the same for these devices !!!!
    I tried the same thing for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic RDA phones and got the same outcome.
    Does this mean that MachineId is not unique for devices, but unique for phone models(N97, 5800 etc.)

Is it possible to have an alternative to IMEI number ?
    This unique ID should remain same, even if the user reinstalls the widget multiple times.
    In my case there is no server to send me a unique ID.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Amar

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: MachineId problem with RDA devices

Hello Amar,

Your observations are correct. The MachineId is unique to phone model and it identifies the hardware.
    If you happen to run into ProductId code, when googling alternatives to IMEI, that has the same value as MachineId from S60 2nd Edition, FP3 onwards, so it is not feasible solution either.

Have to admit that I don't know anything else that could be used instead of IMEI number for this purpose.

Br,
    Ilkka

Regular Contributor

Hi Ilkka,

I m looking for an alternative to IMEI because of the following reason,
    1. I guess CDMA devices will not respond to this API !!
    2. I have also heard that the service providers install customised firmware in the devices. Is it possible that this firmware locks the access to device IMEI by any platform APIs ?

I would also like to know other reason, if any, that can make the IMEI API to fail ....

Please feel free to correct me if i m wrong ... I have not worked with CDMA devices before.

Thanks,
    Amar

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

1) To my knowledge we don't have any CDMA devices that would support Web Runtime.
    2) That shouldn't be the case. The operator variants should not modify the API offering that dramatically.

-Ilkka

Regular Contributor

Hi Ilkka,

I m facing a very funny problem ... I m trying to access the IMEI number of the device. I have deployed widget app on 2 N97 mini devices. Both devices have same software version installed (v12.2.110)
    On one device I get the IMEI value as expected but on the other device it fails to fetch the value. This same device also gave me a problem when I had v11.2.102 installed on it. I upgraded the software guessing it was an operator firmware bug or something. But you suggest dats not the case.
    I am not able to locate the actual problem. Could this be a fault in d hardware den... how would i knw for sure?

Thanks,
    Amar.